Chicken skin

Very cool video. There are/were a couple of local restaurants that serve chicken ballotine and I always imagined they’d get pretty good at deboning whole chickens but in my wildest dreams I never thought they could do it that fast.

I have never seen that here. Too bad!

Do you have a Wegman’s nearby?

No. They are bringing one to Westchester but no where near me. If I need them I have to go to the butcher.

1 Like

I would love to be able to buy boneLESS, skin-on thighs, but I have never seen them here (also Westchester). I frequently debone thighs and leave the skin on myself (and then use the bones for stock), but it is an extra step that would be nice to avoid sometimes. When I lived in Queens, bone-IN but skinLESS thighs were readily available, which to me is just bass-ackwards. Apparently they are popular with the Indian community where poultry skin is generally removed.

1 Like

Yes, I also debone the thighs when I’m looking for that, but I’ll happily have someone else do it for me, especially on a weeknight.

And, oh, and what we could do with that discarded skin! Will you be near the new Wegman’s?

I’m all the way on the other side of the county from Harrison, but I do go over that way fairly frequently to hit up the Costco and Restaurant Depot in Port Chester, so I will definitely have opportunities to visit the new Wegmans. I have to say, though, I am not looking forward to it the way I once was after my most recent trip to a Wegmans (in NJ). I went to college in Rochester and I absolutely fell in love with Wegmans - it was the greatest chain on earth, with the Pittsford, NY flagship “mega-Wegs” as its pinnacle! However, on this recent visit it seemed as though they have vastly curtailed their selections and are replacing national brands with their own house brand of just about everything. The meat and cheese departments were especially disappointing. It’s entirely possible that we just went to a smaller/less-well-stocked location, but I was pretty bummed about the whole experience. I hope Harrison is better!

1 Like

Bummer. Hopefully the new store will be large and full-service. There is a bit of variations between the stores in eastern MA. I can’t say that Wegman’s is the be-all and end-all of grocery shopping. I go once a month or so for some things that they carry that the local stores don’t, and the prices on beer and wine are pretty competitive, pretty much in line with Costco. The selection is a bit more extensive, though. The fish is usually really fresh, and now that I know they have boneless, skin-on chicken, that will be a bit of a draw. I do miss things like local sausage and dairy, and the in-season produce is fairly limited.

Spatchcocked chicken = more crispy skin and less cooking time in the oven which is a win-win for me!

2 Likes