Chicago Trip Report – Dusek’s, The Publican, Bohemian House, Xoco, Beef and Brandy

That fried chicken looks amazing!!
I don’t think you can make any wrong moves, you just go for what you want!

2 Likes

“That fried chicken looks amazing!!”,

…and the spiciness is just right. I was kicking myself for not asking for hot sauce but I didn’t need it.

My aunt used to say “Go for what you know”! She was a great cook. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I think I’m going to get to Publican too. Communal tables should work when dining alone, right?

Oh, and cochinita pibil torta with a side of guacamole at Tortas Frontera at the airport.

3 Likes

chicago has a large Mexican/Latino population and food presence.

3 Likes

Okay! And there seems to be a lot of Rick Bayless influence.
I guess I just eat SO much Mexican in Ca!ifornia. I will keep it on the list!

Definitely different than West Coast Mexican food.

2 Likes

No online reservations for the rest of the week at Bavette!

I lived in Chicago many moons ago, in the mid- to late-1990’s. Specifically, I lived in Pilsen, a now gentrified neighborhood but it used to have a very high concentration of mom-and-pop Mexican restaurants that served absolutely scrumptious food. I haven’t been back to the old neighborhood in years, but I fear that a lot of those mom-and-pops may have been bought up by big-time investors. I don’t even want to look.

But even with my old data in hand, I would say heartily YES, Mexican food in Chicago (and I’m not talking Bayless) is well-worth seeking out.

2 Likes

Different and worth a try in the case of Rick Bayless; Topolobampo and Frontera have different approaches to delivering tasty plates. The celebrity chef aspect was downplayed – we saw him sneaking into the kitchen, head down, through a side entrance during service without announcing his presence to the dining room. On the other hand, his brother . . .

3 Likes

Try calling. And I think you’d have a blast on your own at the communal tables at the Publican.

3 Likes

Made it to Xoco!

5 Likes

I had the pozole, which I ate after walking back to the hotel ( Brrrr! Windy City!), and the torta ahogada, which I’m eating now. Both great! Thanks HO’s!

Didn’t notice until I had ordered that the Wednesday special was cochinita pibil. :expressionless:

3 Likes

Fisk and Co for mussles and fries today. Although a few didn’t seem open to me, they were good; that’s why there are no pictures.

2 Likes

Did the architecture tour! So glad!

7 Likes

The Publican? Check!
Sort of empty and quiet when I arrived for the latest available reservation at 5:45 on a Friday night, but a cacaphony by the time I left an hour later.

I chose four west coast oysters ( Kusshi and Island Creek) ; excellent.

And the hamachi crudo; also excellent

…but was a bit surprised with the $80.00 tab for one. Maybe that was the glass of wine, and the ham tasting to go.

Surprised isn’t the right word.

5 Likes

Thanks for taking one for the team.
:smiley:

2 Likes

On my way home, at Torta Frontera, B10 in O’Hare.
Long line at 5:00 PM.
Italian Pinot Grigio, (Del Vento) and a seat for $15.00 a glass. $10 for the California Altitude Project Chardonnay.

Smoked pork molletes

…and …wait for it…conchinita pibil torta to go! (picture later, maybe).
Not much of a line at 5:45.
“All savory tortas available breadless over black beans topped with arugula and tortilla chips”. Good to know.

5 Likes