Cheap lunch in Kendall Square, Cambridge MA

yeah, this is a good rec. I was thinking that was too far too.

Do NOTE: The Courthouse Seafood Market and Restaurant are closed on Sunday and Monday.

Oh, I had completely forgotten about those peppers! Thanks for the reminder.

I’m trying to get a picture of where you are on the MIT campus - I reminded myself were Skampa was. I might be way off with these recommendations location-wise but when I was over on Sidney Street a few years ago my favorites for lunch were Bytes café (lunch counter run by a formidable Senegalese man and his crew…I still think about his falafel…and the lunch buffet at Rangzen Tibetan). Gawd I miss those two joints like crazy.

1 Like

Mexicali Burritos (two locations) is pretty cheap, definitely under $10.

Aceituna is very good, I also love the pink turnips someone mentioned here, and you can get a rollup for under $10. The plates are a bit more, around $12. But a ton of food.

Squeaky Beaker is also reliable for house made soups and your standard sandwiches, all at normal prices.

Honestly I often crash the MIT Sloan school cafeteria. You don’t have to be part of MIT to go. Hot food, sandwich bar, noodle bar and salad bar. They make the sushi in house and it’s not that bad either.

1 Like

If you’re walking as far as Skampa, maybe head the other way and go to Mary Chung’s in Central Square. Suan La Chow Show. Dun Dun Noodles. And then, bonus, you can have a little Toscanini’s on the walk back.

2 Likes

I love Mary Chung’s! But with the walk, I’d have to rush through a meal there for sure. I

If you’re a cyclist, Hubway bikes are great for this purpose.

1 Like

I finally got to Court House yesterday, and it was really good! The fish was fresh and cooked perfectly, and everyone there was really nice. Thanks again for the suggestion.

2 Likes

So glad that you agree! I am always a bit nervous when I make direct recommendations that others won’t agree.

2 Likes

I know that feeling for sure. Thanks for taking the risk!

Just in case anyone ever looks at this thread because they’re in the same situation - I’ve gone to Izzy’s a few times for Puerto Rican food, and it’s really good! The roast pork special they do on Thursdays and Fridays is enough food for two people for $10, and probably the best thing I’ve had to eat in the area.

2 Likes

I used to eat here a lot when I worked in C. Sq. For some reason I thought it was gone…glad to know it isn’t! I used to like the oxtail and the stewed goat there.

1 Like

Depending on where you are:
Kendall Kitchen
Anna’s in the student center
seconding Beantowne, which smtucker mentioned

1 Like

according to Eater Boston, MuLan has now reopened.

3 Likes

Hooray! That’s great news. I will have to make it over there soon.