Carnitas?

No Coke. Pepsi!

Kidding. I don’t add any soda of any kind.

5 Likes

Never heard of adding coke - mostly just lard, citrus, a STOG, oregano… and I’m no help re: freezable bc our leftovers barely make it past 2 days :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is that a Sheet Ton Of Garlic? or something else?

BTW… I don’t have access to quality lard so am hoping a long, slow roast, leaving as much fat on the shoulder as possible will turn out ok.

A sh!t ton of >insert ingredient :wink:

It’s become a bit of a shorthand among my cooking friends and, at this point almost public domain, given its widespread usage over on the WFD threads.

That’s a bummer about the lard. I was able to procure a large tub at my local supermarket, which lasts forever. Not worth ordering online if you make carnitas often?

Might make sense to combine this with your other carnitas thread?

https://www.hungryonion.org/t/best-carnitas-without-lard/32596

1 Like

I have no knowledge about this topic, but could you use duck fat?

What was the brand? And was it hydrogenated or preservative laden? Everything at the local Safeway is both!

Feel free to move it there. I gave up over a year ago and am wanting to try again with a more substantial slab of pork for a much longer braise.

Dunno… but they do have it at the local market.

Of course you could use duck fat but I think that’s a bit of a waste when lard provides the quintessential flavor. If you use fatty enough shoulder, there should be enough fat for the batch. I use a combo of shoulder and pork belly. Works a charm. We usually shred an initial portion to eat as rillettes and package/freeze the rest for later carnitas meals.

2 Likes

How do you cook it?

Cut meats into 1-2" cubes. Include ALL FAT. Place in Dutch oven. Cover with water. Add a finely chopped onion and handful of peeled garlic. Cover and place in 275F oven. Let bake for 4-5 house until water is boiled away and meat is falling apart. (Include fat in rilletes; somewhat drain for carnitas but keep the rendered lard to moisten, or season other food.

5 Likes

Thanks… ratio of shoulder to belly?

Pure lard.

1 Like

Roughly 25% fat to total weight. In combo.

1 Like

Hi @ScottinPollock @Saregama, both threads are in one place now.

5 Likes