Cardinal Provisions, Asbury Park

@corvette_johnny to the courtesy phone…

ETA That you two are going to eat the nuclear wings-not me!

I learned my lesson. Joon can have the reaper one in the roulette challenge. It must look different I would imagine. I’m sure we could pick it out.

As for jacks, I’m around

2 Likes

Y’all know I’m a fan of Cardinal… NJ Monthly did a ‘Quick Bite’ (not really a review) in the June issue.

So thanks to @CurlzNJ stellar review and several follow up reminders in other threads I finally had the chance to give Cardinal Provisions a try. Fortunately for them, not so much for me, there was an hour wait last Monday (Labor Day) for a table so across the street to Bonney Read across the street to quench my parched throat. After a few cocktails and seeing some food come out of the kitchen I could resist an app at Bonney Read which took the “edge off” my starving during the hour wait.

Exactly an hour later our table was ready, I only had a pork roll egg and cheese which was very good, but honestly how can that ever not be very good. There was an order of the chicken and waffles at the table and it earned high marks as we…

All in all a very nice brunch, I’m not sure if that is a normal wait time but I would certainly go back and try more things, but I’m not sure I would wait that long again.

1 Like

Huzzah! Glad you had a good meal… this isn’t snarky—but I was hoping you had the chicken and waffles because I really think it’s something special there!
Unfortunately (for you), they DO usually have a wait. I generally put my name in and then go across to Cafe Volan for coffee, but I’m also not willing to wait more then 20-30 mins max, so I tend to stay away in-season. That said, they ARE busy year-round. Hint: their monthly pop-up dinners are also terrific!

2 Likes

I finally got back here and dragged some friends with me. I think they always have that same one hour wait during the season. But there is lots to do nearby and they do text me when it’s time to eat so …

One hour later almost to the minute, we were seated. Perhaps the fact that we had to sit outside soured my mood a little - us vampires hate the sun. :grin:

So, the food. Of course we shared a lot of things including the chicken and waffles. I like the fact that they are not just doing it plain, but I still think there is at least one too many things going on in their version. Next time I might try it without the pepper jelly. The surprise hit of the sharing was the ripoff on SqiRL in LA, toast with ricotta and jam. I am going to start making this at home much more often, such a simple combination but oh, so good.

1 Like

Pepper jam?? That’s new since the last time I was there…

I have a picture of my second go at the chicken and waffles in Sep 2016 and the maple poblano relish is on it. On my first go, I was afraid of the relish because, as with olives and bell peppers, I am hesitant to ingest. Happily, I found the combination of the maple poblano relish, herbed yogurt, and the sweet waffle to be perfect with the fried chicken. It’s a truly obscene dish.

1 Like