Can we please have an “INGREDIENT” category or tag?

as per @ipsedixit suggestion, I raised my hand to volunteer to tag restaurant locations in the replies to the nyc good eats thread. just waiting for @ipsedixit to get back to me on the tool(s) to use.

@sck

Just to clarify, tagging applies a specific, pre-defined tag to a topic.

Adding location (unrelated to tagging) is an action that mostly, the original poster can input when she/he start the topic, and then the location is attached to the first post. Because of the way the location functionality is designed, only one location is allowed per topic. So unfortunately you can’t really add the location of each restaurant in the nyc good eats topic.

You are still more than welcomed to volunteer to add the location for each topic with a single address (like a topic about a specific restaurant), if you are interested.

thanks, I understand location is at the topic level, can we create tags for each borough which I can attach to individual replies?

Tags are also applied to the topic, rather than individual posts.

does the software platform index forum content? if i were to add my own tag to the replies, would the forum search function find it?

something like foxface manhattan

Tags are shared across the entire forum so there arent personal tags available.

@ipsedixit’s comment on the other thread implied that there was a way to tag individual
responses, hence the confusion.

I had no idea Recipes meant only ones own recipes, whatever that means. Personally having done a lot of cooking for 60 plus years I don’t claim authorship any recipes as my own they are all either created by others or derivative of such recipes. I wonder how many of our site participants are in the same category and might be unlikely to post in a category with this limitation.

Secondly a category which had “Recipes” in the header would be a logical place for people to make recipe queries for example I’m looking for a recipe for a particular purpose, dish or using a particular ingredient. For example looking for a recipe for shakshuka, tuna for whatever. I agree that adding ingredients to the description and Header of that category would be helpful. But even simpler, following your schema above I think it would be logical to have a single category, home cooking, recipes and ingredients. It’s logical to separate that from discussions of cookbooks, special diets, kitchen equipment, etc.

Certainly having a tag for ingredients helps; although the lack of an ability to do location tagging in extended posts or replies in the regional categories and or effective search is more concerning.

1 Like

I added an ‘Ingredient’ tag.

Location tagging in extended posts unfortunately is not supported by the software platform we use. Since we use this open source software platform (Discourse), and don’t have developer resource in house, we basically use the functionality provided by the open source software.

For searching, Discourse by itself comes with a pretty good search engine that’s integrated with the forum software at the database level, though there seems to be some cases where the results returned may not be optimal. There are options to go with other paid search platform like Algolia, but the pricing can be a big concern given the number of posts already on the forum.

3 Likes

Thank you!

How do we tag older threads centered on specific ingredients? Happy to help.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation.

I’ve looked at most of these posts so far and gathered that, for me, learning to use tags at all is something I should do. It’s my fault for being a tech dinosaur of sorts, in that the whole social-media approach of tagging/hash-tagging has never been in my wheelhouse. But I do prefer the tag idea that much more, the more it permits us to capture desirable information without letting things fall through the searching cracks.

An example of what would concern me: after years of only having Chinese soup dumplings (Xiao Long Bao) in those rare USA restaurants that offer them, I recently ordered some frozen ones to arrive soon, and I might take a crack at making them by hand sometime. This all involves ingredients, of course, but also specific cookware issues, technique, variations on how they’re consumed, cultural specificity, and who knows what else?

1 Like