California Food Journalism and News 2020 [SF Bay Area, Los Angeles and the rest of California]

We used to always have crab at Thanksgiving. I can’t remember the last time the season in California or Oregon has opened in time to celebrate.
:frowning:

2 Likes

As long as I 've been aware of the tradition, the tradition has been “delayed again”.

Does anyone know the origin of the tradition, and how long it actually happened?

I found this;

There used to be clams! I’ve wondered about that.

This one is interesting too. Not sure if there is a paywall.

3 Likes

2 Likes

I wonder what kind of clams? The SF bay used to be filled with oysters as well I believe.

2 Likes
2 Likes

In an offer that expires on Dec.2, 2020, the San Francisco Chronicle is offering a 26-week digital subscription for 99 cents and after that it increases to $3.99/week. It can be cancelled at anytime and if you remember to cancel at 26 weeks, it’s a very good deal. I signed up.

Subscribe now. Cancel anytime.

OUR BIGGEST SALE. OUR BEST DEAL.

Unlimited Digital Access

99¢ for the first 26 weeks

ACT NOW

Limited-time offer: expires Dec. 2

1 Like

The East Bay Times is offering a Black Friday - Cyber Monday special subscription at $2 for 6 months and then $12/month thereafter, renewing automatically but can cancel at anytime.

I’d pay $20/year for the East Bay Times or Mercury News digital sub but nothing more.

Unlimited Digital Access - $2 for 6 months

$12.00 per month thereafter

Renews automatically. Cancel anytime. Offer ends soon.

Unfortunately the vultures at Digital First Media have destroyed the Merc and the EB Times/Oak Trib.

2 Likes

Lamb gets its own vertical spit, paired with tahini, red onions and tomatoes for wraps ($11), fries ($13) and plates ($16). And vegan customers aren’t left out, thanks to a falafel sandwich ($10) served on a French roll.

Shawarmaji: 5-10 p.m. Saturday, then 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Wednesday-Sunday. 2123 Franklin St., Oakland. instagram.com/theshawarmaji

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

Are some streets harder hit than the others? Grant for sure is hit by a lack of tourists. How about Stockton where the shops cater mostly to the locals? Are they affected as well?

I imagine the restaurants are also hit by a lack of diners from nearby offices as well as workers work from home.

2 Likes

Are some streets harder hit than the others? …

Yes, for sure. Raj Chetty has used credit card/debit card data to study the impact on demand/spending with high spatial granularity [zip code level]. you can see the effect of the $1200 CARES stimulus, effect of public health policy such as lockdown/SIP, effect by income distribution etc.

see eg:

Talk begins about 2m in, although this topic isnt addressed for 5-6min.

I am not sure if this visualizer has zip code level data, but it does support county-level inspect:

you can see spending, employment and even “time outside home” over time. in the last category, for SF, you can see time spent at workplace/restaurants/transit dips much more than grocery or parks.

2 Likes

These look interesting. Thanks!

2 Likes
2 Likes

Join Chronicle writer Janelle Bitker for a video chat and demo with Evan Bloom of Wise Sons in partnership with CUESA. Evan will show you how to make kimchi latkes and share ideas for fun seasonal toppings leading into Hanukkah. Click here to reserve your spot.

When: Thursday, December 3, 2020, 5:30 p.m. PT

Where: Click here to reserve your spot. A Zoom link will be provided to all registered attendees.

1 Like
2 Likes

https://sf.eater.com/21754395/pack-jack-barbecue-black-cowboy-sebastopol-sonoma-county

We found this place purely by accident when heading up to Guerneville last year. The BBQ is pretty good (though sadly they didn’t have pie that day), and we got to chat with the pitmaster as he was working.

2 Likes

Ricky Rodas writes in The Oaklandside:

Cambodian Street Food
2045 Foothill Blvd.
Oakland, CA 94606
510-842-3134
Closed on Tuesday
Open from 11 am to 7 pm on the remaining days except that it closes at 5 pm on Sunday

1 Like

There’s a mural outside?

Earlier reports on Cambodian Street Food here:

2 Likes