Burmese Food in the SF Bay Area

A liquor license was recently issued for Karaweik Burmese Cuisine, 3317 Steiner St., SF, former location for Chotto.

Herbal’s menu — which, oddly, doesn’t actually mention anything about hemp — also has plenty to appeal to customers who are just looking for a hearty, inexpensive meal. Not all of the food is purely Burmese — there’s a braised lamb shank dish, for instance, that skews toward Indian and Persian flavors. But longtime Grocery Cafe customers will recognize familiar favorites like the mango chutney pork stew and the chicken potato masala.

As an opening “pandemic time” promotion, which Lue says he might extend until the end of the coronavirus crisis, the restaurant is also offering free mohinga — the Burmese fish chowder — with every order.

Herbal

448 Larkin Street, San Francisco, CA 94102
tel: 415-896-4839
Visit Website

Herbal is open Monday through Friday, from noon to 8 p.m. Call in or order online for pickup, or get delivery via Grubhub or DoorDash .

2 Likes

Good to see William Lue back in the kitchen after the closure of Grocery Cafe.

The nerd in me is quite amused that the items are all $1 more than the last one.

I haven’t been to Grocery Cafe for a long time. Are any of the items newer items? Or are they classic?

1 Like

The Lamb Shank at $15 looks new and is a dish that I’ve had at Persian restaurants such as Middle East Market on San Pablo Ave. near University Ave. in West Berkeley. Also the samusas now come with falafel so Chef Lue might be trying to expand the menu with Mideastern and Indian flavors.

1 Like

Correction: I did check the old yelp site for Chef Lue’s Grocery Cafe in Jack London Sq. in Oakland and they did have a Lamb Shank Masala. Here’s a photo from the old yelp site:

Check out the newest place. They sell frozen Burmese Palatha. Each package comes with size doughs. $16 per package.

They sell their product at Millbrae

The company name is Buddha’s Joy and you can find them on Facebook.

The picture is what their product look like after cooking. They only sell Burmese Palatha.

1 Like

Shwe got good stuff, and some average dishes:

Their biryani were solid. One of the more stronger and interesting combo of seasoning for the rice.

Nan Gyi Thoke was ok. Though I much prefer the biryani.

The garlic noodle was a skip. Its, in fact, pretty bad.

Its late so they were almost ready to close for the night.

4 Likes