[Brussels, Belgium] La Chaloupe d'Or, La-Grand Place

But the origin is from Belgium, not France. The French don’t understand why they are called French fries either, the name comes from US.

2 Likes

I have tried to research this. The usual story goes is that its those stupid American soldiers in the Great War who didnt know what country they were in -assuming they were in France, as that’s where they’d landed but, in fact, found the fries in Belgium. It’s a good story - only the other year, I walked down a country lane for 100 metres or so and crossed between the two countries twice, as the border ran along a little stream that meandered through the fields. The argument falls down a bit as, whilst Americans were probably in Belgium at some point, all of the army’s brief campaign was in France. But maybe, just maybe.

However. And this could be a big however. Some years back, we visited Montecello, the home of President Thomas Jefferson. The guide mentioned the naming of French fries. He reckoned it originated from around Jefferson’s time in France in 1785. In one of his letters (or diary - can’t recall which), he wrote about having potatoes fried “in the French fashion”.

1 Like

If you are a fan of chocolate, you might want to take time to visit the Neuhaus Factory Shop. We’ve been a few times with friends living in Brussels. You can freely sample to your heart’s content before deciding on which chocolates to bring home.

Out-of-the-way location but worthwhile if you love chocolate (and we do). Smart to bring a bottle of water after all that tasting.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g3478329-d7186475-Reviews-Neuhaus_Factory_Shop-Vlezenbeek_Flemish_Brabant_Province.html?m=19904

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:
Oh yes, we found that out back in 2003 during the “Freedom Fries” controversy when French fries served at the cafeterias in the US Congress & House of Representatives were so renamed, in retaliation to French opposition to the invasion of Iraq.

I still remembered the French embassy spokeswoman responded by saying it’s a “non-issue as pommes frites originated in Belgium anyway”. That set off some Googling on the fries’ origins among some of us. :joy:

1 Like

Go to La Chaloupe d’Or, or L’Estaminet du Kelderke. Both serve really good Moules Marinières.

1 Like

Yes, Thomas Jefferson was a Francophile, having served as first Ambassador to France (we think somewhere he is documented to have enjoyed d’Yquem before it became d’Yquem).

1 Like

Scrummy “designer” chocolate not found all over the world. You are very close by, so you likely know this anyway. Wish we could help with name of the very busy moules/frites restaurant on the ground floor of a boarding house/residential hotel that concierge could not believe was destination of cab request.

4 Likes

“its those stupid American soldiers in the Great War who didnt know what country they were in -assuming they were in France,”

Okaaaaay.

I told so many friends I’d bring back chocolate that I panicked at the end of the trip realizing I hadn’t purchased any. Luckily, we were visiting friends in a little hamlet town called Ittre, and just down from their house is a chocolate maker who has won awards for his creations. Stocked up there! Arnaud Champagne is very tall and quite kind and welcoming.

This is the award bar, with a wing painted on it, really good:

thumbnail%20(25)

2 Likes

Ended up getting oysters and moules at a place called Rugbyman No. 1, recommended by the consierge at the hotel. Sometimes you are at the mercy of your circumstances, but this worked out well, lovely evening in St. Catherine’s area.

3 Likes

Sounds like a special find! I’m going to mention this chocolatier to my friends as they often drive to various towns around Belgium and the Netherlands for weekend adventures. Thank you for sharing.

1 Like