Brooklyn pizza ... whole pie, minimal waiting

Hey, whatever happened to L & B Spumoni?

The plans of mice and food obsessives don’t always go according to plan :slight_smile: We visit NY every year or so and can put to use everyone’s thoughtful advice next time around (and will check hours of operation beforehand too).

I appreciate the River Cafe recommendation, it looked beautiful from the outside, but it wasn’t a good fit—- I called ahead and they told me “you don’t need a jacket as you would for dinner, but no sportswear, no sneakers” for Saturday lunch. I only had sneakers, so that precluded us from going.

I’d have preferred an easy walk-in, but Juliana’s was close to where we stayed and the line wasn’t too bad (we swapped who stood in line, under a shaded construction awning, so the other could walk around a bit). We all thought the pizza was excellent, but not OMG excellent (few things are I guess). Next time, I’ll aim for the other places people mentioned, coal oven or otherwise.

Ha, good bagels there, but I wouldn’t take the train just for that—- we went there to visit relatives in Midwood on Monday (DiFara’s is closed then). They wanted to stay in rather than go to Spumoni Gardens, which we’ve enjoyed with them before.

Thanks again for those suggestions. We’ll hit Sottocasa or Table 87 next time we’re in Brooklyn—- neither were open on Monday afternoon so we went to Mile End instead. On Sunday night I considered Sottocasa, but thought pizza might not travel well in delivery (what are your thoughts?). I had planned Frascatis because it was walking distance for takeout, but neglected to check hours until dinnertime.

4 Likes

Thanks for reporting back! I know that juggling plans and logistics can get complicated when visiting- certainly looks like you had some tasty meals! And that’s great you found ample hills ice cream, although I can’t have their dairy flavors i can say they’re a destination for the nondairy ice creams. (They’re in the gotham west market in manhattan)

1 Like

I remember the days of flying across the continent with small children to visit family. Things did not always go as planned. Glad you could have some good food and look forward to your reports of subsequent visits.

2 Likes

6 posts were split to a new topic: [Brooklyn] River Cafe

My experience has been that the general level of Thai food all over the West Coast is superior to some of the best Thai food I’ve had in New York, but then I haven’t had a lot of Thai food in Brooklyn. Which places in Brooklyn are better than the restaurants you frequented in the Bay Area (and by the way, which Thai places were you going to when you lived in the Bay Area)?

The Thai places in Brooklyn I’ve liked are Ugly Baby and Look By Plant Love House. There are reportedly good places in Elmhurst but the closest I’ve gotten is Kitchen 79 which happens to be convenient if I’m taking public transit to LGA. In the Bay Area, I used to eat at Lers Ros, Kin Khao (lunch only), Tycoon Thai, Amphawa, Zen Yai, and a couple of Tenderloin places that have since closed.