Brexit's impact on the UK restaurant industry?

And has been for a goodly number of years. Which is exactly why companies could relocate to other centres, such as Paris or Frankfurt, with relative ease. I would not shed a tear if many of the City of London companies relocated away from the UK. The fawning and special treatment that London gets is a drain on the rest of society.

By the by, my companion in life worked for a multi-national company , as part of a pan-European team, until made redundant when the team’s work was concentrated in Poland , rather than being spread across various EU countries. Easily done and the multi-nationals don’t give a flying fuck about anything other than profits (which is why there are regular press reports of the mainly American owned companies evading their tax responsibilities to our society). I understand that even an American presidential candidate thinks it’s “smart” to have evaded his tax responsibilities.

2 Likes

‘Also I expect Brexit will have less of an impact than most doomsayers expect.’

I hope you’re talking about the restaurant industry only. Frankly, what this has done to liberate and empower xenophobes is grotesque, and many of us Europeans are finding ourselves in precarious (and unwelcome) positions. That is, it’s had an impact already, and a bad one.

I am so lucky to live in Scotland.

But then, I imagine for Mr VikingKaj, this is a purely disinterested exercise,where the only metrics are market based.

I agree. I want my country back. You know, the one that was open, fair, outward looking and tolerant. And gave the world cricket, haggis and sticky toffee pudding

2 Likes

Isn’t that the same country that gave the world Jeffrey Amherst, Robert Clive, the opium wars in China, and Sikes-Picot?

Absolutely. And I’d only really hang my head in shame at one of them - the Great War happens to be a period of interest to me. And one in which I’m a published author - fourth book due out in early 1917. In the meantime, a plug for the last one, which is on-topic for a food forum - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bully-Beef-Biscuits-Food-Great/dp/1473827450/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1476198869&sr=1-1&keywords=hartley+bully

Interesting though. On one side of the coin, world domination for the best part of 200 years. And on the other, sticky toffee pudding. Not at all an easy call which is the most profound contribution.

2 Likes

Harters! You’re a remainer?! You must have been one of the few in the north though I guess there were pockets around Birmingham and such where there were some.

I’m not a Brit, but having worked in London and now working for a UK firm but not in the UK, I took a very personal interest in the outcome of the vote even though I live in the US. I’m saddened by what happened even though I have no idea what longer term the result will be as it denotes a turn to a more closed society.

As to food impact of Brexit, I’m wondering if this will be the reverse of what happened after the Big Bang. I wasn’t around for the time before, but when I came to London in the late 90s, everyone told me about how much better the food had gotten with more options since then.

Very committed Remainer - and proud that our borough voted remain by 52% to 48%

1 Like

Would you call me a philistine if I said I prefer trifle?

Could be the world’s best dessert.

So good.

Trifle is excellent. I think I’d usually think of it as a summer dessert, although it is always something that we make for Christmas. We use my Mum’s “recipe”.

Layer of sponge, heavily soaked with sweet sherry. Topped with peach slices (has to be from a tin). Then a thick layer of custard (Birds, of course) and, finally, a layer of cream.

It would certainly be up there as a “worlds best dessert”. But may I throw into the discussion, a Sussex Pond Pudding for the colder months and summer pudding for, erm, summer.

1 Like