Bread Machine Recipe Exchange

You remove the paddle(s) after the second knead and just at the start of the final rise. I’ve timed my machine for other purposes, and learned when I can pull the dough and hand-knead in add-ins during the second knead. It’s kind of the same principal here with the paddles. Figure it out once, and you should be able to call the time with every bake.

1 Like

That’s good to know. I have been mainly using a ‘set it and forget it’ approach, so haven’t looked into timing it. Might try to do that with the next loaf and see if I can figure it out.

1 Like

Hensperger’s Bread Lovers’ Bread Machine Cookbook is currently free on Kindle Unlimited.

As is Anderson’s No Fuss Bread Machine Cookbook.

1 Like

Havent made it in awhile but love this recipe

2 Likes

BARMBRACK BREAD - THE NO FUSS BREAD MACHINE COOKBOOK P. 212 (Michelle Anderson)

I purchased this book recently based solely on the Amazon reviews, which are many and positive. It was published in 2016. This is the first recipe I’ve tried. To its credit, the book gives 3 different versions for each recipe depending on the weight of the loaf – 1 lb., 1 ½ lb. and 2 lbs. The downside is the recipes contain measures, but not weights. For this first attempt, I used 125 g. per cup flour, and measured the rest of the ingredients by volume.

The modifications I made to the recipe were to 1) soak the currants starting the night before in 2 T. orange juice (drained well before adding manually), and 2) subbed the zest of 1 fresh lemon for the teaspoon of dried zest. Otherwise, as per the recipe.

For fun, I removed the paddle after the 2nd knockdown and just before the final rise. On my machine – on the basic setting - that was at the 2 hr. 15 min. mark. YMMV. My machine is so quiet, I almost missed the sounds of the first and second knockdown. Going forward, I would flour my hands before pulling the dough to remove the paddle. See photo – it worked to eliminate that big hole in the bottom.

I want to rave about this recipe! The loaf smelled great during the rise and the bake, and the bread came with perfect texture and lovely flavor. Bumping this one up my list for a repeat soon.

Here’s the original recipe for a 1 lb. loaf:

2/3 c. water @ 80-90 degrees
1 T. butter, melted and cooled
250 g. bread flour
2 T. granulated sugar
2 T. skim milk powder
1 t. granulated salt
1 t. dried lemon zest
1/4 t. ground allspice
1/8 t. grated nutmeg
1 1/2 t. instant yeast
1/2 c. currants

6 Likes

Banana, Brown Sugar, and Anise Seed Bread

No photo, but this turned out good, and interesting. It’s in Rosenberg’s The Best Bread Machine Cookbook Ever - if you create a free account login then you can check the book out of the Internet Archive. The recipe is on p. 193 and it’s named ‘Philippine Banana, Brown Sugar, and Anise Bread’

For me, the dough was way too wet, so during the Knead 2 cycle I shoveled in another eleven Tbsp. whole wheat flour (for the 1 1/2 lb. loaf), until it formed a sticky ball. Not sure why her recipes all come out this way… Also note that her ingredients are listed backwards for most modern machines, so read it from the bottom up.

She recommends using the bread for peanut butter sandwiches, or run under the broiler with some coconut and sugar - both suggestions seem like good ideas!

2 Likes

TRADITIONAL ITALIAN BREAD from The No Fuss Bread Machine Cookbook P. 41

The author describes this one as “good for garlic bread, bruschetta, and dipping in steaming bowls of soup”. The relative leanness of the dough and the use of olive oil is what appealed to me.

The loaf came out beautifully with a full rise and even texture throughout. It has a rustic mouthfeel and flavor, and is distinctly different from the more enriched French bread I referenced in the original post to this thread. I’ll be keeping both recipes in my file.

As far as the trick of removing the paddle after the second knockdown, that’s been working for me. This time I swiped the post with lightly oiled fingers before returning the dough to the machine. After baking, the bread popped right out of the pan, with nothing more than a tiny belly-button on the bottom to show where the paddle had once been (see 2nd photo).

For a 1-lb. loaf:

2/3 c. warm water

1 T. olive oil

1 T. granulated sugar

¾ t. granulated salt

2 c. bread flour < — I used 250 g.

1 t. instant yeast

Baked on Course 1 (basic) with medium crust.

6 Likes

Just FYI King Arthur’s recent blog post on bread machines:

3 Likes

I made some of the French bread from @MunchkinRedux ‘s OP in my mini Zojirushi with the French bread course and it came out pretty well.

Made a sandwich with some.

5 Likes

I had this very same machine! A gift from my dad. Didn’t use it much, but there was one recipe for an orange bread that was fabulous.

1 Like

Such nice, thin, even slices! Do you use a guide for cutting, or just eye-ball it?

1 Like

WHOLE WHEAT BUTTERMILK BREAD from Michelle Anderson’s No Fuss Bread Machine Cookbook P.34.

This one has a 5:3 ratio bread flour to whole wheat, enriched with a tad of butter and honey. Buttermilk is the liquid element.

I found an error in the book. While the versions for the larger loaves contain salt, it was omitted in the recipe for the 1 lb. loaf. If making the 1 lb. loaf, you need to add 1/2 t. of granulated salt.

Otherwise, nice rise and nice texture. Nothing special, just your basic whole wheat loaf.

2/3 c. buttermilk
1 T. salted butter, melted and cooled
1 T. honey
¾ c. whole wheat flour < — I used 94 g.
1 ¼ c. white bread flour < — I used 156 g.
1/2 t. granulated salt
1 1/8 t. instant yeast

4 Likes

Weren’t they comical? I recall one spin cycle (wiggling knead) where the R2D2 was possibly working its way across the counter.

2 Likes

I always thought of it as R2D2’s errant brother

1 Like

I have an electric meat slicer that I never use and sliced it with that using a serrated disc, probably will use it more if making bread more often.

2 Likes

Clever! :+1:

1 Like

FRAGRANT HERB BREAD from Michelle Anderson’s No Fuss Bread Machine Cookbook P.44

Here’s one to which I made a few small changes. For a 1 lb. loaf, I reduced both the water and the bread flour by 25 g. each, and added 50 g. unfed sourdough discard to the liquid. As my discard is old and slack, I also added ¼ t. vital wheat gluten to the dry to make up for some of the lost strength.

For herbs, I used 1 T. toasted dehydrated onion, 2 t. dried chives, and ¼ t. granulated onion. The chives and granulated onion were whisked into the flour. The toasted onion was kneaded in by hand during the 2nd knead cycle. I had another 1 t. toasted onion in reserve for sprinkling on top at the start of the 2nd rise, at which time I also removed the paddle.

This came out wonderfully. Great rise, and a very tender crumb, thanks to the addition of milk. The onion flavor and aroma came through, although not overwhelmingly so and just as I had hoped. Will make again.

Here’s the recipe as originally written in the book for a 1 lb. loaf (basic course, medium crust):

¾ c. warm water
1 T. salted butter, melted and cooled
1 T. sugar
¾ t. granulated salt
2 T. skim milk powder
1 t. dried thyme
1 t. dried chives
½ t. dried oregano
2 c. white bread flour < — I used 250 g.
¾ t. instant yeast

4 Likes

Last November, I made a loaf that would be good for turkey sandwiches. I served it with a plate of autumn vegetables (gingered sweet potatoes, roasted Brussels sprouts, green beans with toasted maple pecans, and cranberry sauce with pears), and also toasted squares of it to make croutons for a savory pumpkin soup. It was really quite nice. Probably won’t make it this month, so there’s no photo but…

|                      | **1.5 lb.**      | **2 lb.**         |
|----------------------|------------------|-------------------|
| Finely chopped onion | 1/3 c. (53 g)    | 1/2 c. (80 g)     |
| Milk or soymilk      | 1 c. (240 g)     | 1 1/4 c. (300 g)  |
| Water                | 3 Tbsp. (45 g)   | 3 Tbsp. (45 g)    |
| Butter or margarine* | 1.5 Tbsp. (21 g) | 2 Tbsp. (28 g)    |
| Bread flour          | 3 c. (411 g)     | 4 c. (548 g)      |
| Sugar                | 2 tsp. (8 g)     | 1 Tbsp. (12.5 g)  |
| Poultry seasoning    | 2 tsp. (5 g)     | 1 Tbsp. (8 g)     |
| Kosher salt          | 3/4 tsp. (4.5 g) | 1 tsp. (6 g)      |
| Instant yeast        | 1 tsp. (3 g)     | 1.25 tsp. (3.7 g) |

Program: White bread, medium crust.

This comes from Tiffany Dahle’s Ultimate Bread Machine Cookbook except her measurements in grams aren’t always right so those I’ve refigured. There’s not a given 1-lb. loaf size, so perhaps if someone makes that size they’ll share the ingredient amounts.

Notes:

• The butter is softened and cut into pieces.
  • Consider adding a little vital wheat gluten if you have it.
  • You’ll notice the water amount is the same in both sizes - I made the 1.5 lb. loaf it it was ok, if you make a different size you might want to keep an eye on it during Knead 2 and see if it needs more water or flour.
  • Let the loaf cool for at least 30 minutes.
  • I didn’t have a poultry seasoning blend per se, so I made it with this: 6 tsp. dried marjoram, 3 tsp. dried sage, 1 1/2 tsp. dried thyme, a pinch each dried rosemary, onion powder, nutmeg, black pepper, garlic powder, and celery salt.
4 Likes

SOFT EGG BREAD – Michelle Anderson’s No Fuss Bread Machine Cookbook - P. 35

This is a yellow sandwich loaf enriched with egg, butter and sugar.

I’m a little perplexed at the author’s conversion calculations between the different size loaves. I would expect the 1 lb. loaf to have the same ratio of each ingredient as the 2 lb. loaf, but in this instance, that is not the case. I’ve gotten a little more diligent about comparing the conversions for the different sized loaves, and here I cut the sugar back from 2 2/3 T. to 2 T. as a result. The difference in the ratio of liquids called for between loaf sizes, however, leaves me perplexed.

I should note that even with the higher ratio of liquid, I had an issue with getting all of the dry incorporated. I ended up pulling the loaf after the first rise and working in a bit of loose flour left in the pan. So much for “set it and forget it”.

All’s well that ends well - the results were terrific. Good rise, even crumb, soft, eggy, and great for toasting and grilled cheese.

For a 1 lb. loaf – basic course (I used medium crust, but next time I will use light).

½ c. + 2 T. warm milk
2 2/3 T. salted butter, melted and cooled
1 egg, room temp
2 2/3 T. granulated sugar < — I used 2 T.
1 t. granulated salt
2 c. white bread flour < — I used 250 g.
¾ t. instant yeast

3 Likes

I purchased a new-to-me bread machine book: Bread Machine Magic (Revised Edition) by Linda Rehberg and Lois Conway. I’ve seen positive references to this cookbook, and it gets a 4.2 on Goodreads and a 4.5 on Amazon. The revised edition includes formulas for all 3 sizes – 1 lb., 1 ½ lb. and 2 lb. loaves. It’s an older book, and quantities are shown in volume, and not weight.

DILLY DELI RYE P. 68.

My modifications and notes:

• used homemade pickle brine from our garden pickles
  • added ¼ t. Dijon mustard
  • reduced sugar from 1 ½ T. to 1 T.
  • swapped out 10 g. of bread flour for potato flour (not potato starch)
  • included the optional 1 T. vital wheat gluten
  • added 1 t. King Arthur’s Deli Rye Flavor
  • used 1 ½ t. instant yeast in lieu of 2 t. ADY
  • omitted the dill weed and added 2 T. caraway seed
  • used the optional whole wheat setting in lieu of basic

The loaf smelled heavenly while baking, and the final product came out just as I hoped – suitable for sandwiches and toast, with the heavy aroma and taste of caraway and rye. The tiny bit of potato flour helped tenderize it, and while the pickle brine and mustard were not overwhelming, they were present, and it would have been a lesser bread without them. I would be very hesitant to omit the vital wheat gluten here.

We enjoyed it this morning toasted, with butter and/or cream cheese and smoked trout.

Here’s the original formula for a 1 lb. loaf – basic setting, medium crust.

3/8 to ½ c. water
¼ c. pickle brine
1 egg
1 T. oil
1 ½ T. sugar
¾ t. salt
1 1/3 c. bread flour < ----- I calculated 160 g.
2/3 c. rye flour < ----- I calculated 75 g.
1 T. VWG (optional)
1 t. dried dill
2 t. active dry yeast

4 Likes