[Bramhall, Greater Manchester] Bombay to Mumbai - Parsi tasting menu

Yep, I’ve got the technique - grill or bake. I see she colours one third of the batter with spices and leaves the other two thirds plain. But the question remains, all the recipes I’ve seen for it don’t separate the batter. Presumably, they must all be in error as youre only going to get the dark layer by adding something (spice, caramel or something)

It’s usually caramel added to half the batter, and the layers are cooked one by one (ie one over the other) so you alternate the caramel and non-caramel batter.

1 Like

Which makes perfect sense.

But even this recipe from NDTV doesnt mention dividing the batter and adding anything

It’s not necessary, just aesthetic. Usually the line of separation is visible even without.

I only use one batter (which is the usual eggs-flour-butter- sugar mix) when I make layer cake - the “brown” stripes were actually formed by the tops of each grilled layer. A closer look at one of those I baked a while ago.

I still remembered distinctly when I first brought one of these layer cakes which I baked myself to an office Christmas party back in 1986 - I was a young intern at the West Australian Newspapers in Perth - a couple of women at the party asked me how I “got those fine brown stripes onto the cake”. I did explain to them that the cake was grilled layer-by-layer, and the stripes were the tops of each grilled layer.

3 Likes

This is the latest in a series of tasting menu dinners featuring regional Indian cuisine. And it’s one dear to the heart of one of the owners of Bombay to Mumbai. He told us, months ago, that the Sindhis were mainly Hindu but found their region in Muslim Pakistan at the time of partition in 1948. There was much violence (I think something like 1 million people, from both communities, were murdered) and, like many others, his grandparents fled their home, travelling south to find refuge in India, settling in Bombay. Sandeep is not a chef but has told me that he’s doing most of the cooking for this menu, to ensure that it’s “right”.

5 Likes