Boulevard 572 - Kenilworth[NJ]

We went to Boulevard 572 in Kenilworth for the first time & had an outstanding dinner. We usually don’t go to BYOs but made an exception this time, since their wine list seemed very reasonable. Afterwards, I found out that we can even bring our own wine for only a $20.00 corkage fee, which is even better. I highly recommend this restaurant. The only negative was that the waitress made us order our appetizers and entrees at the beginning, and she wouldn’t even let us put in our appetizer order while I tried to decide on my entree for 5 minutes, which was really pretentious, since there were only two tables dining at the time, including our table. However, she did wait for us to let her know when to fire up the entrees, and was very professional otherwise.
I ordered a nice bottle of 2013 Vidal-Fleury Cotes Du Rhone for a very reasonable $31.00. It retails for about $15.00, so the markup wasn’t too egregious. It was very good.

For appetizers we had the excellent and refreshing grilled octopus & shrimp salad, with artichokes, olives, capers, & roasted red peppers.

We also shared the mushroom ravioli stuffed with porcini mousse, in a mascarpone froth.

For entrees Mrs. P had the excellent certified Angus filet mignon with Danish blue cheese, roasted potatoes, baby carrots, & squash, in a red wine reduction. It was perfectly charred on the outside and medium rare on the inside.

filet%20mignon%202
I had the outstanding, and extremely tender roasted Berkshire pork tenderloin, with shrimp & chorizo cassoulet, parsnip puree, in a ‘mole sauce.’

For dessert we shared an amazing dark chocolate and caramel mousse torte, over a chocolate olive oil cake, fleur de sel, and mascarpone gelato. It went perfectly with a 10 year old Taylor Fladgate tawny port.

2 Likes

Excellent review as always, Eli! One correction. In the second sentence, I’m sure you meant to say, “We usually don’t go to **non-**BYOs…”

Though I’ve heard of Boulevard 572, we’ve never been. I just checked the website. The dinner menu looks good to me. Lunch not so much. (We love going out for a nice lunch.). And why no dessert menu on-line? I hate when all-too-many restaurants do that. In any case, I’m putting this place on our “go to” list for a mid-week dinner.

Thanks Roz. Yes, you are correct. I meant to say that ‘We usually ONLY go to BYOs’.
They have an excellent brunch special where a couple can pick two entrees, and 4 items for things to share, plus unlimited Mimosas, Bloody Marys, coffee, & tea for $35.00. They have a similar thing for Sunday supper (4 appetizers, 2 entrees, mixed pastries, but no alcohol included for $40.00 per person). We chose the a la carte menu because Mrs. P wanted to try the filet mignon. But they had a very nice selection on that special Sunday dinner prix fixe menu.

That dinner looks/sounds delicious, but WOW that’s a heavy menu for July… did they have any more ‘summery’ specials on the menu?

It was delicious. Well, we went from the air conditioned car, to the air conditioned restaurant, so we weren’t too hot :blush: The grilled octopus and shrimp salad was very light & refreshing :slightly_smiling_face: Those dishes went very well with the Cotes Du Rhone that we were drinking.

They have a lot of lighter seafood dishes.
You can get:
Chilled Boulevard Fresh Seafood Platter
Oysters | Clams | Jumbo Lump Crab Salad | Grilled Shrimp Seafood Salad | Yellow Fin Tuna Tartar | Spanish Chips | Assorted Sauces. That’s meant to be shared.

Grilled “Chermoula” Organic Salmon
Fingerling Potatoes | Roasted Golden Beet Puree | Spinach | Whole Grain Mustard

Almond Crusted Cod
Garlic Potato Purée | Littleneck Clams | Roasted Tomato Broth

Blvd Seafood Risotto
Maine Lobster | Day Boat Bay Scallops | Fresh Shrimp | Truffle Froth (this might be a little heavier but it looks delicious)

They also had a nice red snapper special. I don’t remember the presentation.

We were just in the mood for meat, since we eat light during the week.

1 Like

We had another spectacular dinner at Boulevard 572 Saturday night. We sat in the comfortable and quiet wine room. Roz, you need to try this place. It’s about 2 blocks before Le Rendez-Vous. This time we ordered the tasting menu, which was $75 for 3 courses plus an excellent amuse bouche of jumbo lump crab & avocado cannelloni with mango & papaya passion fruit vinaigrette.

For appetizers we started off with very flavorful sautéed day boat scallops with green lentil daube, applewood smoked bacon, & celeriac puree, in a caper herb butter. We also had Maine lobster agnolotti, with chanterelles, confit pear tomato, in a sherry lobster froth.

For entrees we both had the certified black angus filet mignon with Danish blue cheese, rosti potato, baby carrots, asparagus, in a red wine reduction.

For dessert we both had the dark chocolate mousse torte with chocolate olive oil cake, fleur de sel, & mascarpone gelato. It went very well with a 10 year old Taylor Fladgate tawny port.

Below are some pictures of a cool light fixture and part of the wine room.

I enjoyed the tasting menu but I think we will stick to the a la carte menu next time.

2 Likes

We had another spectacular dinner at Boulevard 572 Saturday night.
Excellent sauteed lump crab cakes with spiced rum black beans, vegetable slaw, in a smoke paprika sauce. This is a split portion.

Very flavorful shrimp corn chowder with apple smoked bacon, celery root, and turnips. This is a split portion.
Crispy skinned sauteed red snapper with shrimp and chorizo ‘paella’ rice, asparagus, and roasted tomato.
Cavatelli with plenty of pulled short ribs, shiitake and portobello mushrooms, asparagus, roast tomato, mascarpone, in a red wine reduction.

3 Likes

We had another fabulous dinner at Boulevard 572 Sunday night.
We shared an appetizer of grilled seafood salad with calamari, shrimp, roasted red pepper, in a citrus vinaigrette. We also had crispy homemade Spanish chips, and an apple and Belgium endive salad, with Danish blue cheese, beets, pecans, in a mustard vinaigrette.
image|694x694 .png)
For an entree I had the excellent wood grilled Colorado lamb chop and loin with wild mushroom risotto, artichoke hearts, spinach mousse, in a Bordelaise sauce. Mrs. P had the filet mignon with blue cheese, that has been photographed before. They both went perfectly with the same cabernet that I had last week at Viaggio.

We took home the excellent chocolate mousse torte with chocolate olive oil cake. It went perfectly Taylor Fladgate 10 year old port.

3 Likes

We had another excellent dinner at Boulevard 572. This turned out to be a rib eye weekend :grinning:
I had a 32 day dry aged rib eye with chanterelle and pearl onion in a Bordelaise sauce. It came with green beans with toasted pistachio nuts. Mrs. P had her usual filet mignon topped with blue cheese. For appetizers we shared pumpkin ravioli with pistachios and pickled ginger, in a sage brown butter sauce. We also had steamed littleneck clams with chorizo and oven dried tomatoes. The steaks went perfectly with Cooper and Thief red blend aged in bourbon barrels for 3 months.

3 Likes

We had another excellent dinner at Boulevard 572 tonight. We haven’t been here in over 3 months. We started off with an excellent grilled shrimp salad with artichokes, olives, capers, and roasted red peppers. We also had the most amazing crispy Spanish chips. For entrees Mrs. P had an outstanding crispy skinned sauteed black sea bass with a shrimp and chorizo ‘paella rice’, asparagus, and roasted tomato. I had an awesome wood grilled Colorado lamb chop and loin, with wild mushroom risotto, artichoke hearts, spinach mousse, in a Bordelaise sauce. The outside was perfectly charred and the inside was perfectly medium rare. It was so flavorful and went perfectly with a 2014 Janasse Chateauneuf Du Pape.

5 Likes

That photo is amazing, too!

1 Like

Thanks Jimmy :blush: