Boston magazine's 25 best new restaurants 2015

Thanks Hyde, good to see your handle too!

First time at Select on Saturday night - they are taking reservations on Open Table. The crudo were as good as advertised - a Japanese madai was the prize of the night. Blue fin tuna tartar had a lux touch of “Sturgeon” caviar - didn’t indicate whether Ossetra, Beluga - jet black so perhaps Beluga? Quality of the blue fin was excellent but it was sadly over salted. The Island Creek oysters were as good as I’ve had. However the mains were a bit of a let down - halibut was overcooked to dryness, whole sea bream tasted a bit oily, as if it wasn’t gutted and cleaned well or early. Worth a return trip, but we prefer Row 34.

Agreed, I stick to the Fruits de Mer, Specials and Starters now and always have a fantastic meal.

I just went to Moody’s Backroom for a birthday dinner (not mine) this past Saturday night. I just have to give them a shout out again. Their food is excellent, the wine list great, and the service was so spot on (casual interaction with professional execution - right up my alley).

It is just a great place. Well deserved to be on the list!

1 Like

Morano Gelato [Chestnut Hill] is getting significant love over on Chowhound. I should add that they make gelato “cakes”, that while not inexpensive, were awarded “best ever” by our 12-year old and her girlfriends [we got one at the Hanover location]. She chose a straciatella + strawberry combo that was fabulous. The gelato layers sit on a thin sheet of cake; they won’t decorate the cakes, but no one complained.

It seems, from talking to a couple of experts, that the mouth feel of proper gelato they are able to reproduce is not merely a function of the ingredients, but also the amount of air mixed in. It takes a special machine, apparently, to get this right. And you have to make the gelato daily.