Boston Chinese food

South Pacific… now that takes one back, eh? We went there before Senior Prom. They were particularly lax about checking id’s and those drinks were not for the weak at all!

What old school Chinese places still serve the fried wonton noodles of my childhood? A bowl of these upon seating brings me way back!

1 Like

Lee Chen in Lawrence serves them!! http://www.leechenma.com/

1 Like

wow, that sparks memories. Our family loved those and haven’t had them in decades.

“The China” in Quincy is gross and forgettable and a very weird place to be mentioned in an article by Lucky Peach

I’m not that big on “Boston” Chinese food but I do enjoy Golden Temple

China Moon has them, as well as a plate of fluffy white Italian bread with your meal.

1 Like

You’re right about The China (what a weird name?), and I too like the Golden Temple. Beijing House in Norwell serves the fried wontons. I love that place.
Enjoy,
CocoDan

i grew up in brooklyn so getting bread in a chinese restaurant was totally weird for me when i came to boston!

wbur had a program about this just yesterday and joyce chen’s son was on the panel as was a food historian. the opening of mennies’ piece misses the mark. by the time chinese food was becoming popular boston was filled with irish and italian immigrants and their children, very few of whom were eating clam chowder and baked beans at home. the radio interview suggested the evolution of “boston style” chinese food had more to do with italian food than traditional new england fare – hence joyce chen choosing the name peking ravioli instead of dumplngs or pot stickers.

2 Likes

I haven’t been to Chung King Rick’s. Being so close to Sichuan Gourmet, it’s hard to get over there!