Boston and surrounding areas for Asian noodles of all kinds.

I finally got to try this place out last week, and it was my favorite of all the ramen joints in the Boston area that I’ve been to this month. I confess to finding the whole dream thing at least a little bit hokey, but it’s a unique touch that sets the restaurant apart and so it’s at least got some upside.

I loved the ramen, though. Got the buta, so it came with 5 good size slices of pork and I piled on the “delicious garlic” which I think was the right choice. The broth is just salty enough for me, and as a general fan of fat I really dug the unctuous mouthfeel of the soup and the extra bits included with the soft, tasty pork. Noodles are thick + chewy and the additional bean sprouts and cabbage try valiantly to slice through the oily nature of the rest of the bowl.

I can see how people who prefer a cleaner style might not completely cotton to the ramen here, but personally I thought it was great.

3 Likes

Finally made it to Wang’s to try the sauteed handmade noodles. I’m only realizing now that I’m rereading Parsnipity’s post that we didn’t get asked about protein at all; the dish we got was just the noodles, cabbage, and scallion. I really enjoyed the texture and chew of the noodles (I had imagined them being much thinner, but they turned out to be pretty fat – thicker than udon); thanks for putting this dish on my radar!

1 Like

I haven’t been there for years since experiencing the decline firsthand. But the flatbread noodles sound interesting.

Am I missing something, or has Gene’s not been mentioned in this thread? Still my favorite of the hand pulled noodle places. I might head up to Westford tomorrow.

3 Likes

If you are so inclined, you might also take home an order of #10 hot and sour dumpling soup to enjoy later. We often do that because more Gene’s is a such a happy thing.

3 Likes

Gene’s was mentioned by galangatron way up on this thread:

1 Like

I would just eat it in the car!

1 Like

Khao Him Thai & Pho is a newish takeout place in the Rte 129 Plaza in East Billerica. I have enjoyed their pad Thai and other noodle dishes, and relish their red curry. Portions are generous, and the spice level is less than authentic, which is fine by me.

Their delivery person, a Thai, mentioned that every Wednesday in February, chicken pad Thai will be $5, all day long. He also said he loves the chow fun at Mekong, in Lowell.

3 Likes

Thanks for the pointer! I drive by that strip mall a fair bit but never thought to stop in. Will have to try their khao soi.

Thanks for bringing this place to my attention. based on the reviews, this sounds like a must visit place.

I did try Khao Hom’s khao soi (with duck, the chicken is white-meat only) and it was very good. Thai North’s remains my area favorite for that dish but this place in much closer to home. The place is promising enough that I may try the pad thai while it’s on special (Wednesdays in February); it’s been a long time since I had a good version of that dish.

I like that they have four heat levels (mild, medium, hot, and extra-hot) that bracket our preferences, and a good condiment tray to amp things up as needed. “Medium” for the khao soi and “hot” for the (non-noodle) “crispy pork basil” (pad kra pao moo krob) were just right for us.

Thanks again for posting about the place, greygarious. I’m thrilled to have another good food option in the area.

2 Likes

I’ve been meaning to write about how a dish of cold udon here has become one of my favorite regular stops in the area this summer, but haven’t gotten around to it. (This heat is making me sluggish. I also need to put up a review of my Sarma visit, but my memory of all those small plates is fading fast…).

Scene: I tromp up Mass. Ave in the heat after work, wading thru the swamp that is August and get there all sweaty when they open at 5. (Apologies to the poor saps who have to sit next to me). I pay my measly 14$ for a cold udon with extra beef, and then everything about my visit cools me down. The people are efficient and nice, there’s bad Japanese rock playing, and it really feels like a place in Japan. The noodles are beautiful to chew, the lemon and daikon work just right with the broth, the beef is flavorful and tender. It’s a great dish. They also (gently) carp at people who are on their cell phones while they eat, which quite honestly endears me to them all the more.

They’re also consistent, which more and more I find is something that most restaurants fail at these days. I’m never unhappy after I leave this place, because the food is the same every single time.

I imagine that hordes will descend on this place now that they made that Bon Appetit list for being one of the ten best new restaurants in the US, but they deserve it. (Also, since I go at open, it probably won’t affect me!) I desperately wish that the other stall places in Porter Sq. Exchange would follow their model and pick a single thing or two to make and perfect and just stick to that. The food court here could really be a destination spot if all of the other joints weren’t so run of the mill. (Aside: I miss the old Cafe Mami before the original owners went back to Japan. Also the Korean place ChoCho’s–which isn’t very good–has been closed for supposed renovations for quite some time).

5 Likes

Thanks. Nice review. I must go there.

Wow, good for them! I’ve only had the ramen but it sounds like the udon is worthy of a visit too. The ramen place had people in line before 5 in the coldest month of the year, so you might have to start arriving an hour prior to get that sweet bowl now, @passing_thru!
Surprised with BA’s choice, although they did pick a sandwich shop as their No. 1 last year, so maybe they are changing with the times?

haha, I am doomed

sadly, I must report that your instincts were right on this, @sunnyday. Did my standard walk and got to Porter Exchange at ten of five, which two weeks ago would have meant me killing ten minutes sitting on a bench until they opened to me and maybe one or two others.

Tonight, at ten of five? A GIANT LINE! Bon Appetit has ruined my favorite post work neighborhood meal with their damned list. I’m sure happy for the restaurant, who deserves the success. But me, I have a heavy heart because I’m probably not going to go here as much anymore if this keeps up and it had become one of my favorite regular stops.

1 Like

My condolences, @passing_thru. I know it’s not the same thing, but it might be a fun weekend project to recreate the bowl? Bon Appetit has a detailed breakdown of the components and most of them (or lesser copycats) are obtainable. Plus, it’s quite fun stepping on your dough before they become noodles (with socks on and dough in plastic bag of course - we are not heathens here :wink: )!

3 Likes