Boar's Head… I'm a Bit Surprised

My experience as well. Remarkably good.

I really hate Boars Head products, especially the Oven Gold turkey, which people love. To me, it doesn’t even taste like turkey. People love certain delis down here but they are all Boars Head. No,thanks.

2 Likes

Reading all the comments about Boar’s Head, I’m a little surprised. I’ve never had anything from BH, but I always assumed (from their marketing and prominent location in the cold case) that their products were good. Were they ever good? Or is it all smoke and mirrors?

It’s fine for what it is.

Certainly better than Oscar Mayer, or Hillshire Farms, for example.

It’s not Prosciutto Crudo di Parma but it’s certainly better than probably 75% of the stuff out there.

And probably better than just 75% according to this …

2 Likes

Boars head . Just like the rental car that doesn’t smell and runs . You walk up grab a pack . This will do . Does the job .

4 Likes

Personally, I would prefer a Subway meatball marinara over any BoarsHead sandwich.

1 Like

There ya go. It’s lunchmeat. Convenient. If you want a better ham samich, you make the damn ham. BH is a’ight, but it’s more well-marketed than a huge jump in quality. Still a step up on the plethora of trash lunchmeats out there.

1 Like

Is that an endorsement of Subway, an indictment of Boar’s Head, or both?

2 Likes

Boar’s Head where I grew up in a suburb of NYC was/is seen as better quality. I agree with the heavy marketing-- was pretty common to see Two BH delivery trucks ahead of you when your were out & about during the day. They are up here in greater Portland/Maine but not to that extent.

1 Like

I like your description. Kinda reminds me of Johnsonville brats that my in-laws have held as a standard

1 Like

This is one reason I like HO- we can agree to disagree without being rude or getting hurt feelings.

Boars Head still makes my favorite hot dogs, even compared to other higher-end brands. I’m not a big deli sandwich person, so my feedback is probably meaningless, but I remember a few flavors of their turkey deli to be decent. But you’re also talking to someone whose family went for Carl Budding sliced turkey (I can’t even smell that stuff these days) if we ever actually made sandwiches.

2 Likes

BH is definitely a step up from Buddig. So broke in college, I bought generic Buddig.

2 Likes

I remember those days!

1 Like

Never heard of Budding, but the bottom of the Barrel round here is “Fud” :nauseated_face:, do not confuse it with Food cause it isn’t! At least not Food fit for consumption :wink:.
It is often found in Mexican Markets,

1 Like

Our cat puts ‘cat fud’ on the shopping list when he tires of his usual favorites.

8 Likes

That’s about it!

My sister had a Cat Fud sign on her dryer, back when she had a cat.

3 Likes

Such a classic. We’ve referred to anything we feed the kits as “fud” for years (decades?).

2 Likes