Big birthday, simple tastes. [Manhattan]

Yes

Could someone post me a link to it if it goes up as we fly 6am tomorrow !
E

The food tour is at the top:

8 years later comment re: addresses, etc. + other self guided food tour info:

Excellent review of Roz’s LES tour by Australian visitor:

Safe travels!

1 Like

Thanks Roz

This is fantastic. Thanks Roz!

It really was… ! But at some point they moved into this big impersonal space and prices kept going higher and higher. everyone else caught up with market vegetable sides and quality proteins, just not the destination it used to be

My thanks to @meatn3 for providing the links to my LES Tour!

All the places mentioned are still in business with the exception of Guss’s Pickles. Economy Candy is at 108 Rivington St., not 145 (don’t know how I got that address wrong). Two places have moved: The Pickle Guys are now at 357 Grand St. (corner Grand & Essex), and Il Laboratorio del Gelato is now at 188 Ludlow St., corner E. Houston, not next to the Tenement Museum. Of course, Russ & Daughters now has a café. Even so, it’s still worth stopping into the store.

Note that in his post above, @fooddabbler mentions a number of spots I didn’t include that I agree should be on the tour.

I had intended to revise and expand the tour but never got around to doing so. I’ve also thought about giving an expanded version its own blog.

Although we are in NYC regularly, the truth is it’s been several years since we were last on the LES. I really should get down there.

My Blog
My Flickr

5 Likes

I didn’t realize they had moved. That’s how long its been! But we went twice back several years ago and had an exceptional meal. Ah, the pork belly was so good!

Where did you go, and how was it?

Hey all

Sorry for slow reply.

As ever when in NYC too many places and not enough time.
Our hotel got us a reservation on our first nght in Lilia which we really enjoyed, although perhaps going there having just flown in from Vancouver was a naive move.
I was partcularly keen on the clams and a hearty pasta dish
IMG_1886IMG_1889
The only suprise, for me, was that they had (in what is already quite a noisy room ) a 90s indie sountrack playing. Given that the place is being reported as a grown up Brooklyn place (whatever that means ), i found that abit odd, albeit being of a certain age and musical disposition I enjoyed it. My only gripe is they told us our table wasnt ready when we arrived and showed us into the (tiny ) bar…when our table plainly was ready. Our drinks then hadnt even arrived when we were shown back into the restaurant.I am sure that wasnt done just so we chose two $15 cocktails…but it did make me wonder !

We went to Katz diner, as advised in the thread. Had a blast and took lots of photos , but woulndt rush back for the food. Simply too much meat for us squeamish Brits.

Di Fara pizza was lovely, IMG_1935%20(1)

plenty of basil, as it should be.

Also loved Burger Joint, for the retro decor, for the incongruous setting and for the fact they asked how we wanted our burger cooked.

IMG_2112
It tatsed better than it looks here !
We went there having had a couple of afternoon drinks in my favourite NY dive bar, Jimmy’s…which turned into a few more and so on our final ,morning we justy opted for a sandwich from Depanneur

IMG_2133

which was just what the hangover doctor ordered.

All in all then, a great trip but just not enough time…

Thanks everyone for the recommendations and sorry if I didnt eat enough while there to do your help justice !

3 Likes

Which Jimmy’s is this, the one on Thompson St?

44th st.

Thanks.

No. 140 W44th. Jimmys Corner to be more precise :slight_smile:
What is the one on Thompson St ?

There is apparently an expensive hotel on Thompson Street called Jimmy, and they have a bar.

Jimmys is NOT expensive.
One small beer and one G&T = $7 :smile:

I’ll bet that the Thompson Street venue isn’t cheap. Their online menu doesn’t give prices. Always a bad sign. And the hotel is apparently called The James.

I have been to the jimmy bar there! It has a fairly good sized outdoor space and pricey not memorable cocktails. Kind of an odd location at the very edge of soho

They do have two prices on their drinks menu - none alcoholic at $14 a pop - pre tax. That’s two rounds at Jimmys !
One for the American Psycho crowd I think …

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the report!

On Katz’s, that’s not a diner at all, but a Jewish delicatessen, which is quite different. And for anyone without a mammoth appetite, I highly recommend for two people to share one pastrami sandwich.

2 Likes