Best & Worst foods for take-out...

Best: pizza, because I am one of those weirdos who likes it no matter what the temperature. And especially cold :smirk:

Worst: as mentioned previously, anything fried. I got take-out fried chicken from a popular place in Charlotte recently, and after taking the first bite twenty minutes later, I immediately regretted not eating it right outside the shop (there was no indoor seating). The chicken and the sides (hush puppies and fries) all suffered, and I was sad to not have the chance to eat them at their best.

1 Like

i have to say pizza is the king of the best takeout food. From the best to bad, hot or cold you can always eat pizza. Just depends on your state of mindā€¦

5 Likes

Agreed. Eating with ceramic dining ware is better than out of plastic boxes. Office, not that relaxed atmosphere to enjoy even good food.

Pizza is okay, if you got it home still warm. I used to have a nice Italian restaurant below my place, they had fabulous pizzas, even takeout. (Itā€™s not a take-out place.)

For pizza try leaving the box open on the way home if you can. It keeps the pie from steaming and getting soft. It will cool down more rapidly too, but I put it in a 425Ā° oven for maybe 4-5 minutes (YMMV) and our favorite pie is close to perfect again.

2 Likes

My recent doggy bag filled with leftovers from a popular bbq restaurant held up deliciously almost a week laterā€¦just a little reheating for the ribs and a couple of the sides. I actually think a little sitting time made it a bit more flavorful.

Was talking to an owner of a big tavern and he was saying how wonderful their burgers were. Then he said that on a recent snow day nearby residents were calling in for their burgers to be delivered. He added: we are surprised at how many folk would give up 10% quality loss in transit rather than come in and eat on the premisesā€¦
He was referring to a snow day, of courseā€¦but burgers really donā€™t travel well either.

1 Like

Burgers donā€™t microwave to reheat very well either.

Yup! We live in In-n-Out country. Iā€™ve tried taking a double double and fries home and, even though itā€™s no more than a 5 minute drive, the experience is just not the same. Iā€™ve even tried to take it apart so the veggies donā€™t heat up (whether microwave or toasted oven) but itā€™s just not worth it.

2 Likes

Same situation ā€“ we live 5 minutes from In N Out, but if Iā€™m going through the drive through, I get my burger without lettuce, because it gets super wilted (I normally donā€™t get tomatoes so thatā€™s not an issue).

1 Like

Super specific I know but Salvadorean pupusas are awful in transit. You have to eat them fresh off the grill - otherwise they turn to leather. The curtido wonā€™t save it either. :pensive:

Iā€™ve never had a problem taking home In nā€™ Out burger, the buns are nice and sturdy. The fries, howeverā€¦

The rule is donā€™t eat in the car, except for In n Out French fries. In that case, the rule is eat them in the car, on the way home, immediately. But no ketchup.

1 Like

In n Out burgers are definitely among the ā€˜messierā€™ burgers, especially if you get (as I do) a Double Double Animal Style. Eating while driving is most definitely a losing proposition. You can ask me how I know but I wonā€™t admit it. Eating while parked is doable however.

3 Likes

Oysters. I saw that on a to-go menu of a local restaurant. Can oysters really be taken to-go, without the oyster, liquid and shells falling into a jumbled mess in the to-go box?

I have gotten them shucked and to go from Sheepshead Bay. Jordanā€™s filled a large tin halfway full of crushed ice and nestled a dozen in carefully. Full disclosure: They lasted about as long as it took to get from the parking lot off of Gerritsen to the gas station on the Belt before we finished them.

1 Like

Years ago Johnsonā€™s Oyster Farm had take out. They sold shucked oysters in a jar and provided empty shells for presentation. I think they sold small bags of rock salt too.

1 Like

On a whim and a sniff, it smelled so good, we picked up some fried chicken prepared at a Stop & Shop in CT. for a take home afternoon snack. We did not have to drive far so the chicken held up pretty wellā€¦

When I pick up a premade salad I ask that the dressing be placed on the side in a separate container. Soggy salad is awful.

Burgers get cold, french fries soggy.

My fav takeout that holds up is a NJ sloppy joe, its already a soft and creamy sandwich.

2 Likes