Best Meal in and around Boston so far this year?

Ha yes! Snap pea! I have recreated the salad at home but prefer their version. I loved the corn soup too. They gave my 11 yo plain buttered pasta and it was far superior to my falafel plate.

4 Likes

They use the fancy French Feta, which seems much creamier and less salty than any Greek feta that I’ve tried.

3 Likes

Our best meal in Boston this year was a lovely dinner with friends at Fox & Knife. What is there to say? There aren’t really any misses on this menu and the hospitality is well polished at this point. In a city without many worthy newcomers and many old standbys having gone away, Fox & Knife has become one of our very few very reliable go tos.

5 Likes

I’ve always been meaning to get to Fox & Knife, but I remember it always looked packed. Is it still as busy, or has it eased up a bit and easier to get a table?

2 Likes

It’s definitely still busy, but you can usually get a table planning a bit in advance or going at a non prime time, and they do hold tables and bar seats for walk ins. I have also sending a request via seven rooms (their booking engine) when availability is not showing for when I want.

I lurved Chef Karen’s cooking at Myers and Chang. Don’t mean to sound like a millennial bimbo, but the dishes on their Instagram account are a feast for the eyes. One day, we will actually go and eat the food.

4 Likes

Alden & Harlow is always good.

1 Like

I’m very late but we finally made it to Fox and the Knife. Straight through the menu there was not a miss, cocktails to desert. Gnocco frito, heirloom tomato salad, crostini di polpo, spaghetti alla vongole and tagliatelle Bolognese, panna cotta and crostata. Attentive and friendly service at the bar, guiding us through cocktail and wine selections (thanks Jake!). Not sure what took us so long. We sat at the bar at 4:30, and they were just getting busy as we left.

9 Likes

No taleggio-stuffed focaccia? You missed out

Glad you enjoyed F&TK. I really enjoyed it, as did the wife. It’s not too big, and is has a great ambiance and the food is superb

1 Like

We jealously eyed the focaccia. Unfortunately we were already at capacity. Next visit!

1 Like

Their Raviolo al Uovo is the best I’ve had - and I order it every place I see it.

2 Likes

Not necessarily my best local meal of the year (although in the neighborhood at least), but I wasn’t sure where else to post. I met a friend for dinner at Prezza recently for the first time post covid. We had an excellent meal at the bar. Great, lively atmosphere and service at the bar as I remember. Food and cocktails were excellent. I was blown away by my fried pork chop with vinegar peppers. DC enjoyed the lasagna off the red sauce Sunday menu. Porions/value/price was reasonable compared to other recent local meals. We’ll be back soon!

7 Likes

Digressing?

Well, I finally made it there. Met up with a few colleagues right before the holidays and we chose Fox and the Knife. A really delicious meal, though they opted to seat us at their bar stool tables by the window (an ick for short people). At least they had cushioned seats.

Really loved the food and had their famous tagliatelle. For a rich pasta dish, this had light, fluttery pasta and was delicious. I would have loved to try the whole fish, but we ordered a lot of appetizers and starters already, and just opted for pasta to end our meals.

6 Likes

For our 45th wedding anniversary, we headed to Umami in Cambridge. Absolutely delicious, memorable, and yes, we won’t wait until our 46th. We sat at the sushi bar and watched the show. I think I died and went to Uni heaven. Pacing was perfect, and the flight of Sake was the real star. So many incredible sakes that we tasted and had no idea the variety, complexity and differences in taste. Gird your loins when the bill comes, but we will hold back on the uni extras.

5 Likes

I don’t think Sugar and Spice is as good as it used to be. I live in Chiang Mai for four months a year and have become a bit of a Khao Soi snob. For Thai or Asean food, I would try Chalawan in Porter Square. The oysters are Thailand in a bite. The chef is from Chiang Mai. I’m actually typing this from Chiang Mai and continue to eat up and down the street.

3 Likes

I loved my 1 visit to Chiang Mai (I have been to Thailand perhaps a dozen times from ~2004-2012). I have yet to try Chalawan, although it’s been on my list for quite some time. Have you tried Dakzen? That was probably the last good Thai meal I had in Boston (had the khao soi).

I am excited you found us here at Hungry Onion. The Greater Boston board is small and friendly. Welcome @Suki!

2 Likes

Ditto, welcome Suki!

2 Likes

Thanks Digga and Max,

Thanks! Seems like a nice group here.

Yes, I have been to Dakzen. I went with another couple. It was fun, but the place was super busy, with very few tables to eat. Good tho. Thai food in Boston is elusive. I’m sure my standards are high, having spent so much time here. It doesn’t help that your best friend is a Thai Chef instructor who specializes in menu and signature dish development. Many of his students are Michelin-rated or Top Chef finalists. Andy Ricker from Pok Pok is living here, and I run into him from time to time. SP Chicken is still a favorite. Saying that I am open to many cuisines, and Chiang Mai is a hot travel destination.

I return to Boston on the 16th.

5 Likes