Best days to visit NYC during the holidays [Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn]

It’s not really attached to Grand Central. You can walk “uptown” through the office building housing GCT, but you have to exit and cross 45th Street to get to Urban Space Vanderbilt. It confused the hell out of me the first time I went looking for it and no one in GCT knew what I was talking about.

There’s a shock! Is Urban Space on Vanderbilt? Could I exit there and walk up?

Sure, you could walk along Vanderbilt to 45th. The Urbanspace building is on the northeast corner.

2 Likes

I HAVE to get to Dough!!! Looks great!

2 Likes

I know Joe Distefano of chopsticksandmarrow.com. I was his RA in college and we were best friends for almost 25 years. We lost touch the past couple of years, but he knows his stuff about food and restaurants in NYC, especially Queens. His food tours are great, and he has been on several food shows taking folks to places in Queens. Bourdain, Zimmern, etc. He spends all day, every day, visiting restaurants and markets, and writing about the ones he likes most. We used to get together and check out new places to eat and drink several days a week for more than a decade. We also wrote for the same publication for several years. Then he focused on Queens food and the professional BBQ scene, and I on beverages after I became partners in a winery, opened a brewery, restauarant, culinary school, then a distillery.

1 Like

Garlic Knots? Tell us more!

Garlic knots are from Don Filippo. See original post here.

@JMF, I appreciate you taking time to share this. It’s always tough when you come across a blog for the first time. But as long as the writer is all-in, I’m not afraid of being disappointed, if you know what I mean. Hope we can meet him some day. All day, every day sounds like my food obsession. People say, “Get a hobby!” Um, this is a my hobby. And they say, “Get a life!” “Um, no.”

We leave very soon. Can’t wait to gain back in 3 days all the weight I worked hard to lose since Thanksgiving.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for the recs. I really appreciate everyone’s input. We tried hard to respect all the recommendations, but NYC was colder than real life. Temperatures never went above freezing during our whole trip, yet we kept trying to will our way through. By the end of the first day, we all had a cold. By the end of the second day, we were getting mild fevers. The third day we had to rest, sort of, still went out anyway. Finally got back today.

The good thing about it being so cold was that we could drive around and park a lot easier. However, usually we can park in one spot and cover a mile radius, but that was impossible this time. And my lone subway trip was painful. The “subway action plan” during the holiday break closed down a lot of trains. Even then, it was an absolute blast. (I’m sure we’ll pay for it next few days as we recover.) I think the best way for me to manage will be to post about one place a day. Otherwise, it’ll be overwhelming. I’ll start with Bakeri, our very first stop.

8 Likes

Oh my god, i was in CA last week and this crazy brutal arctic weather is traumatic!! I hope you are all back to healthy asap, this has been a bad year for the flu already.

I started our report here. I’ll try my best to keep updating it.

1 Like