Berlin 3 days

I knew what I was getting into with Amrit. We came in on a Friday morning train from Hamburg (no time for breakfast, I just managed coffee), had to get our bags from Hbf to our apartment in Schöenberg, and then cross the city again to maximize time at a place that wasn’t open Saturday or Sunday. Amrit was right on the way, was open early enough, got us fed in a reasonable atmosphere without queueing or eating out of hand in the chilly outdoors. I’ve had a lot worse Indian food!

I was surprised at Pasam. I would have guessed the tray was made the day before, though I don’t think it was.

My experience of French-themed establishments in Lisbon is that they often speak at least rudimentary French, and they spoke good French and English at Ti Breizh in Hamburg. I mentioned it only because they messed up my order one day, and I had to untangle it using my essentially nonexistent German.

I think more Americans and Canadians are willing to pay for a product that is crap., that they know is crap.

I think more Americans and more Canadians won’t speak up when food is awful. I know I don’t because I don’t want anyone to spit in my food. I’d rather keep quiet and never go back, maybe warn my friends.

Most Continental Europeans (immigrants or expats) I know in Canada will speak up when something is crap, in a way that a raised in Canada Canadian probably won’t.

I’m not talking about inherent taste as a nation.

Fair enough. I know Germans tend to be more direct on the whole, and Canadians have a worldwide reputation for being polite.

And passive aggressive!

I don’t know enough Canadians to make that judgment, but I’ll take your word for it.

I always speak up when my food is crappy, or good, that’s how I was raised here in Canada, eh.

1 Like

That’s the Macedonian oozing out of you, bruv :wink:

I had one of the worst flus of my life a few days after I spoke up to say I ordered the chicken crêpes, not the sugar crêpes. The server was disgruntled. In my 30s and 40s, I spoke up a several times , if there was as a problem, and I was met with attitude from the server or manager around 80 percent of the time . The only place I can remember where they thanked me for my constructive comments was at Nota Bene in Toronto.

I don’t speak up anymore. If I’m a regular, I’ll let the owner or manager know about issues later.

A reaction a few days later is fairly unlikely to have anything to do with that particular meal.

I think a lot of the lore regarding sent back food is just that :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

My corrected main looked messed up, when it finally arrived. I am convinced he messed with it. His reaction scared me.

Hopefully not, but people can be awful

That means you’re still speaking up

1 Like

Nah bruv, that’s the chef oozing out of me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Your last dim sum meal looked so bad, I would have marched my butt back there and demanded a refund.

1 Like

And have them smell the ammonia!

2 Likes

Exactly, there’s no excuse for that.

1 Like

Last night’s dinner total with the mandatory 20% tip changed from $250 to $300.

Not so in Germany. 20% make a YUUUUGE difference.

1 Like