BEER (2017-2023) - What did we drink (today/recently)?

See note here on Vietnamese beer, have you tried this Hué beer Huda?

Thanks @naf. I tried the red Saigon last night, marginally better than the green. They also had the special so will give that a go. Anyway I’ve found a good looking craft beer place near where I’m staying. I’ll look out for the Huda.

Christmas markets are in full swing already in mid November. I always walk fast trying to escape the nauseating smell of mulled wine. This “hut” caught my eyes so I stopped to check it out.

Mostly novelty beers and “nothing really good” kind.

I do like Mönchshof beer. Ayinger Celebrator is very nice as well.

There are beers from the UK, America and elsewhere in Europe.

On my way to Uerige shortly.

Now at Uerige brewery tapping room. My favourite Altbier in Düsseldorf.

This room is extremely warm and small. Elderly regulars often eat lunch and sit around for hours. They seemed to look at me a lot, probably because this room is usually occupied by regulars and not tourists. The tourists enter the main entrance and sit in the very beautiful hall in the other section.

Everything is copper. Even the flower pots.

Waiters come and leave constantly with their trays.

First waiter clocked off so we paid.

Sure-fire way to annoy the waiter is paying your bill then ordering again.

I got 4 of each to take home. The smaller bottle is stronger version.

Saw this on my way to other places after lunch at Schumacher brewery. Many people stopped in the middle of the bridge for this shot:

But I saw this…

I was the only one at the far end.

1 Like

At the pub the other day. The Mexican biscotti is nice. Eur.6 for a tiny bit!

Hope you can read the text in this photo.

2 Likes

A few beers from Ong Cao Craft Beer, Ho Chi Minh city last night.

Beer list.

Mango IPA. The choice of the missus but I tried a bit. Light , not much bitterness but the fruit wasn’t overdone.

Fuzzy Logic IPA. Nice IPA. Bitterness tempered by some caramel flavour.

Cocoa nib Porter. I do like a porter and this was a lovely dark and chocolatey version

3 Likes

Woohoo, decent beer, finally!

1 Like

Last night I shared a 2014 GI Bourbon County and an Evil Twin Christmas Eve in a New York Hotel Room from 2015. The Bourbon County is delicious and aging nicely. The Evil Twin is at that point that it needs to be drank.

1 Like

I do drink beers made by both the twin brewers. Over here Evil Twin stuff is not as common as his twin brother’s.

I still have a lot of beer that needs to be drank one of these days. Must remember to do that next year.

First 2 beers on my first day in Busan. Not Korean craft beer but the pub is only a couple of minutes walk from my lodging.

American “water glasses” are popular here. At home we use these ugly glasses to drink water with. I’m thankful they are not the fugly IPA glasses, though.

The pub owner is in this photo. He brewed one of the two beers I tried (in the glass with a logo/text on it).

His beer: Focal IPA. Cloudy and nicely bitter.

Only had this one because I know I would almost never see it at home. Costs a pretty penny, to the tune of eur.12.

The pub is small and full of stuff. No room for so much glassware, bottles and boxes.

The owner is a fan of Belgian beer.

He has many many bottles for sale, in the fridges and any surface on which they can stand.

The narrowest fridge-freezer I’ve ever seen, about 30cm in width. Things are small and low here.

Last night I finally got to drink Korean craft beer. The “problem” here is the pubs are open in the evening and we want to start drinking already in the early afternoon.

2 Likes

Korean craft beer, Galmegi is a local brewery here in Busan. Lucky for us 1 of their 2 pubs is only a few streets from our lodging. Their IPA is pretty good.

One of the beer in photo above is a colab with Mikkeller and another Korean craft brewery.

Next 2:

Wild Wave brew pub. The only craft brewery in Korea that makes sour beers.

First 5:

Good imperial stout.

Next 4:

Almost done.

What we tried.

It’s a nice little brew pub. I notice there are women customers in all the craft beer bars which is a good thing.

This is their Biergarten in fine weather. The pub is far away from the centre in an industrial area so if you come all the way out here then you must be hardcore.

Got a litre bottle of Wild Wave pale ale to go (back row next to the bubbly bottles). My alcohol consumption took a hit unexpectedly. I had planned to start drinking the bubbly yesterday but had to postpone.

Went looking for beer at a fancy department store which has an Hypermart. They do stock some Korean craft beers, of course I bought them all.

Went to this highest rated craft beer pub. The beers were OK, staff were great. The pub itself is also nice, if far from the city centre, but once you make it out there you are within walking distant to 2 other nice (brew) pubs.

It’s not common that I have chocolate hazelnut porter.

So far I think all the craft beer pubs here have either a tin sealer or plastic bottles for your take-away beers. This is a sealer on the bar counter:

The taps and counter.

I got 2 to take home.

1 Like

Finally feeling better again and can start drinking :wink:
One litre of pale ale from the tap at Wild Wave brew pub.

A little craft beer bar within walking distance from my lodging.
The nice barkeeper gave us the Tripel (#10 on the beer menu) as well. At home I drink Westmalle Tripel but this Korean version was not too bad.

The bar directly faces a Karaoke place so we endured mad flashing lights and screens the whole time.

1 Like

More beers of Vietnam.

In Saigon- better than the green Saigon beer but that’s not saying much.

In Da Nang- Not bad benefits from being 6%. The only beer from Saigon brewery worth drinking.

In Da Nang- standard Asian larger. Most common brand in Da Nang and Hoi An. On a par with Saigon Red.

This beer is all over Hue. I preferred the Laure in Da Nang slightly. Didn’t stop me sinking a few on my birthday.!

In Hanoi, Inoffensive better than Saigon Green about as good as Saigon Red.

In Hanoi- used my gold can selection procedure. Certainly more flavour than the standard Ha Noi beer but overly bitter.

Of the mass produced beers Saigon Special is definitely the winner.7i

3 Likes

Hanoi now has a craft beer scene. Hope you can make it to a couple of places before leaving town. Here’s RB’s beer guide for Hanoi.

I’m in Seoul now and there are quite a few craft beer bars to check out. Hate that they are mostly open in the evening, though.

In case you have slow internet I copy/paste a few addresses for you:

Standing Bar
170 TRẤN VŨ, TRÚC BẠCH, HANOI
4 3266 8057
Tues - Sat 4pm - midnight, 14:30 - midnight Sunday, Mon Closed.

brewery

4 reviews
Furbrew Craft Beer
8 TÔ NGỌC VÂN, QUẢNG AN, TÂY HỒ, HANOI
0165 772 4112
4pm - Midnight Daily

brewery

2 reviews
The 100 Garden
68, NGÕ 238 ÂU CO, QU?NG AN, TÂY H?, HANOI
0165 772 4112
4-11pm daily

brewery

3 reviews
Pasteur Street Brewing - Hanoi
1 AU TRIEU, HOAN KIEM, HANOI
+84 24 6294 946
Daily 11am-11pm

bar

1 review
Cua Hang Ngoc Linh (Bia Hoi Corner 2)
1 ĐườNG THÀNH, CửA ĐÔNG, HÀ NộI, HOÀN KIếM, HANOI
+84 4 3923 1240

bar

2 reviews
Evenstar Craft Beer Pub
SỐ 6 NGÕ 21 PHẠM NGỌC THẠCH, HANOI
10:00 to 23:00 daily

bar

1 review
New Gentry Beerhouse
7 HÀNG MÀNH, HANOI
+84 168 233 698
10:30 to 22:30 daily

brewpub

10 reviews
Hoa Vien Brauhaus (Hanoi)
1A TANG BAT HO, HOÀN KIếM, HANOI
04 39725088

bar

1 review
Café and Beer 1965
S6 4 HAM LONG, HOAN KIEM, HANOI

restaurant

2 reviews
Chops - Old Quarter
12 HÀNG BẠC, HOÀN KIẾM, HANOI
024 466 867 885
9am-12am daily

bar

2 reviews
Chops - Tay Ho Lake
4 QUẢNG AN, TÂY HỒ, HANOI
+84 24 6292 104
9am-12am daily

brewery

1 review
Rosemary (ThoMas Brewery)
60 TO NGOC VAN, TAY HO, HANOI
167 515 4683
16:00 to 22:00 Wednesday thru Sunday. Closed Monday and Tuesday

bottle shop

4 reviews
Beer Temple
71 LY NAM DE (71 LÝ NAM Ð?), HOAN KIEM, HANOI
+84 4 3747 5443
930-800

brewpub

1 review
Ccraft Beer
45A LUONG NGOC QUYEN, HANOI
11AM to 12PM

restaurant

2 reviews
Hoa Vien Pilsner Original Restaurant
10 NGUYEN BIEU ST, BA DINH DIST, HANOI

2 Likes

I’m in Seoul now. Managed to finish all the alcohol we got whilst in Busan. I was sick for a few days due to someone’s nasty perfume so had to literally take a break from alcohol.

Korean craft beer is hard to find. Many (micro) breweries don’t bottle for distribution.

Korean sour beer brewed in Busan.

I had a little taste of Ballast Point IPA but didn’t end up ordering it.

We were supposed to drink the sparkling wines on the 30th and 31st but didn’t get to do that until the last 2 days.

It’s hard to find a wine retailer but we finally did find one, albeit somewhat expensive/fancy.

1 Like

Looks like you had some good beer in S Korea.

The label for the Goodman table beer rang a bell.

It’s very reminiscent of the labelling for table beer of one of my favourite South London breweries Kernel.
450x450

1 Like

Thanks for the research, it’s very kind. I will check the list out and try and get to one tomorrow

I went to a bia hoi tonight. The beer is quite weak but it’s very cheap and it makes for very convivial drinking. The atmosphere made it the closest thing I’ve found to a British pub on this Asia trip.

Beer @ 30 pence a glass

The Bia Hoi

After the Bia Hoi I popped into the Circle K store and tested my golden can in Asia hypothesis with a can of Huda Golden beer. It still holds, it was pretty good.

2 Likes

Gold always work in Asia. I remembered husband tasting a black Vietnamese beer, he said it was better than a normal one, I thought it was too bitter. ( I think we found it in a fancy supermarket, in some mall).

We had this “Christmas beer” during the NY. As the bottle said, “hints of clove and caramel”.

2 Likes

Ended up here last night , thanks @Presunto.

Be hoppy indeed.

Beer list page 1

Beer list page 2.

Dragon fruit Gose. Not bad.

Roundabout ale. Pretty good example of a pilsner.

Front is the New England IPA, lovely grapefruit flavours. Behind a lemon heffweizen, better than most I’ve had in Asia.

Ended the beer tasting with some heavy hitters. 13% chocolate stout on the left and a very liquoricy Belgian dark beer @14.2% called Sticky Monk.

Managed to bag a sticker with same logo as the beer mat.

4 Likes

Wow, fantastic place. Your beer thirst finally ended there.

Re The Kernel label. I thought the very same thing when I saw the similarity.

Let us know what you find at your next destination. I can copy/paste beer addresses for you in case your internet is slow.

Tomorrow is my last day in Seoul. Beer options are a lot more here than in Busan.