BEER (2017-2023) - What did we drink (today/recently)?

Singha and Thai food. A match made in heaven.
There is room for Chang, too.

3 Likes

WOOO!! by Greater Good Imperial Brewing Company (Worcester, MA) - Hazy DIPA

Juice bomb throughout with a backbone of orange and mango flavors quite dominant. There are some hints of malts and grassy pines but they are relatively in the background. Low bitterness finish with some alcohol flavor/sweetness (at 10%). Good DIPA but also an example that there can be too much juiciness without enough balancing bitterness from the hops.

Jess by Amherst Brewing (Amherst, MA) - Hazy IPA

Very smooth and well balanced hazy IPA. Some fruitiness upfront (mango, orange) but not overpowering, followed by some grassy, piney notes but not overpowering and dry, medium bitter finish. This would be the perfect hazy IPA for somebody who never had one before. All the characteristics in a great balance.

2 Likes

f yeah!

1 Like

‘Mosa by Southern Grist Brewing Company (Nashville, TN) - Fruited Sour

Good mimosas have nice fruitiness from the orange juice without being too sweet and a good, delicate tartness from the champagne. This sour ale is a surprisingly good imitation of a mimosa with the ale having nearly champagne like flavors with hints of grape.

2 Likes

Not the best beer in the world, but a Greek brewed Amstel does hit the spot rather nicely.
Naxos is more known for Kitron or Ouzo but a cold beer as the sun sets works wonders.

3 Likes

Citra by Foley Brothers Brewing (Brandon, VT) - IPA

As a single hop IPA it is relative straightforward beer with typical citrus flavors of the citra hop (mix of lime, lemon and grapefruit), good malt backbone and low-medium bitterness in the finish. Nothing mind-blowing but a solid, good IPA

Flower Power by Ithaca Beer Company (Ithaca, NY) - IPA

Citrusy and, not surprising with that name, floral notes are quite dominant upfront. Followed by grassy, piney flavors with some malts and finished with quite some bitterness. Solid IPA.

Trends - Acai Berry Blast by Barrel Brothers Brewing Company (Windsor, CA) - Smoothie Beer

Taste exactly like you would expect such a smoothie would taste. The problem is that there is no clear beer flavor recognizable - no bitterness or sourness, just fruits and sweetness. Pushing the boundaries can be interesting but sometimes you completely miss your goals as with this “beer”

1 Like

Worked my way through a malty Mythos, a slightly hoppy Mamos and a sweet Ouzo and i have to admit that the beers were not even close to the 1894 Ouzos. The beers did beat out the raki, though. That swill is vile.

The camoflauge cat liked the lamb best.

Off to another island…

Not my ship, but i like the shot.

4 Likes

Jaws by Zero Gravity Craft Brewery (Burlington, VT) - Czech Pilsner

Very nice example of a Czech style pilsner and quite malt forward with flavors of biscuit and bread as the backbone. Relatively light overall but with a spicy bite towards the middle and end. Interesting finish which starts with low bitterness but is very long lasting and increase/growing bitterness.

2 Likes

Just hearing the words “Czech pilsener” makes me want to be strolling around Prague or Plsen in search of a cafe for food and a beer. What a beer culture! And the people are very cool too.

2 Likes

Necessity (coupla late afternoon nine year old appetites) found us older crowd choosing nearby Gott’s, which has the virtue of thoughtfully selected wine and beer. Heading the beer list was draft Pliny The Elder. Sierra Pale Ale would’ve been done the deed, but we didn’t bother to read further and file away for future necessity.

2 Likes

A few years ago, the Gott’s in the Ferry Building had Pliny the Younger on tap for one day. I was fortunate enough to be able to take advantage of that.

1 Like

Wrench by Industrial Arts Brewing (Garnerville, NY) - Hazy IPA

Fruity sweetness with some citrus (grapefruit, lemon) notes, followed by some malty flavors and dry but low bitterness finish. Very drinkable but also a bit one dimensional and lacks some balancing bitterness.

2 Likes

I just finished a Yellow Donkey at the Kookoo Cafe in Oia Santorini and was surprised by how much i liked it. Greek beers are served cold and wet but that is about all they have going for them. Yellow Donkey was nice blend of malts and hops with a slightly citrusy nose and initial taste. It was moderately full bodied, just a good mouth feel if i am using thay description right. LOL!

Nice brew! I got a nice serving of fried calamari and toasted veg shortly after the beer.

I tried another of Santorini Brewing companies brews and it was only ok. So far the Yellow Donkey is the star of the family

3 Likes

The fried calamari look great

1 Like

It was pretty good! And I am not a vegie fan most days, but those roasted vegies went really well with the calamari! I have tried the other Santorini ale, the Red Donkey and it was a bit hoppier than the Yellow Donkey, but did not have the balanced flavor of the Yellow.
I went back and tasted another Yellow Donkey and came to the conclusion that it was really good, but the fact that I have had a boat load of mediocre beers in Indonesia, Thailand and the first couple weeks of my Greek trip made it seem slightly better than it really is. It is pretty darned good, but it is not quite as good as my first impression. I still got another bottle tonight and had it with a late dinner, though. I think the Yellow Donkey will be something I remember from my 2023 trip to Greece. LOL!

1 Like

Singha is a nice brew. Must have with Thai.

1 Like

Alvarado Street Colada Island: Lava Flow, tastes like a piña colada, but beer.

4 Likes