BEER (2017-2023) - What did we drink (today/recently)?

I remember the Baltika porter, it was so rich 3 of us split one bottle. We hung it out the window of the Trans-Sib in January to chill so it was served COLD!
Drank it with a meal of smoked whitefish and slices of farmers sausage and some white cheese.
The air in the compartment was nearly poisonous in the morning.

1 Like

Nopales is great in tacos and salads.

Havent seen that stateside in years. So many locals IPA’s made and they take up shelf space. It’s hard these days to find the plethora of Euro beers that existed on our shelves in the 90’s…

1 Like

I have a backlog of photos that needs to be sorted. :dizzy_face:
Just one for today…
Burnt By The Sun - Double Fruited Gose - Funky Fluid (PL) / Zagovor Brewery (RU) Colab - 6,5%
Brewed with red papaya, calamansi, peach and Himalayan salt. Also contains wheat, oat and wheat flakes, plus lactose.

Pours a beautiful orange-red like the sunrise/set. Smells and tastes predominantly of papaya. Sour, and you really taste the calamansi. The salt is also there. No peach at all. If it were me would leave out or drastically reduce the calamansi and double or trebble the peach. Faint lactose, no creamy mouthfeel like some other beers but maybe that would be out of place for Gose. This is a nice fruity beer that I really enjoy drinking. However, half way through it occurs to me I can’t tell if it’s a (too sour) “Gose” or a sour beer (with salt). Gose or not, it’s the brewers’ idea or interpretation of the beer.

I remember seeing a Russian movie by the same name at the Vancouver international film festival in 1994 (thereabouts)!

2 Likes

Cold Pressed by Alvarado Street Brewery (Monterey, CA) - Hazy IPA

Prime example of a hazy IPA with tons of fruitiness from peach, mango and orange but really well balanced and not too sweet with some medium bitterness in the finish. Very clean and refreshing IPA

2 Likes

Coastal Sunshine - Raspberry, Blackberry, Plum by Humble Forager Brewery (Waunakee, WI) - Fruited Sour

Described as jam inspired which hits it quite well - good berry mixture upfront with plum flavor mixed in but well balanced medium tartness. Both tartness and sweetness are both restrained which makes it a mellow, refreshing sour.

2 Likes

Oh…Forever by Other Half Brewing Company (Brooklyn, NY) - Hazy DIPA

Great dry-hopped hazy DIPA with juicy citrus flavors throughout but well balanced with piney, dank tastes and a long-lasting relatively bitter finish. Very smooth and very drinkable.

2 Likes

Pillow Clouds by Kings Brewing Company (Rancho Cucamonga, CA) - Hazy Triple IPA

Surprisingly mellow for a triple IPA with the expected orange and mango flavors upfront but not overly sweet and a good amount of piney, grassy notes afterwards and a dry, medium bitter finish with hardly any alcohol flavor despite the higher ABV. More a middle of the road hazy IPA than expected (but still quite enjoyable)

2 Likes

Day’s End by Allagash Brewing Company (Portland, ME) - Red Ale

Ale brewed with Boulevardier cocktail in mind and it has a very complex taste profile. It starts lightly sweet but immediately gets waves of vanilla, orange bitterness, caramel, roasted fruits and bourbon. The finish has mild floral notes with some spices and a slight alcohol burn. An interesting sipping beer at the end of the day

3 Likes

Malpeis is another tiny craft beer brewery on Lanzarote. So far they only distribute bottles to shops and bars/restaurants. They produce only a few old-fashioned styles of beer. This blond ale is soft but pretty tasty.

Found in the “gourmet” section at a supermarket in the capital. I grabbed it without reading the tiny texts on the back. I had wanted to try a pale ale from somewhere on mainland Spain… well, it’s from Germany and tastes just like a Weissbier (reeks of super ripe bananas, which I don’t like). I drank it all anyway. Not the end of the world.

And this was at Zum Schlüssel brewery in Düsseldorf last week. First time visiting this brewery in a long time. I usually go to a different local brewery each time, depending on how much time I have and also my route. Totally forgot about this one until now.

2 Likes

Phaze by Four Quarters Brewing (Winooski, VT) - Hazy IPA

Citrus forward hazy IPA with some hints of lemon zest which makes it not overly sweet. Some subdued piney notes later with more pronounced bitterness in the finish. Relatively creamy mouthfeel with a quite high carbonation.

1 Like

Extended Vacation by Sloop Brewing Company (Hopewell Junction, NY) - Hazy IPA

Short mellow “burst” of tropical citrus notes upfront which give very fast way to grassy, slightly malty flavors as the major backbone of this IPA. Very creamy mouthfeel with high carbonation and low bitterness finish. Not sure what to make of this profile - not bad but also not really great.

2 Likes

Double Dry Hopped Space Diamonds by Other Half Brewing Company (Brooklyn, NY) - Hazy DIPA

Complex mixture of galaxy hops with orange and peach/tropical upfront but than followed by a mixture of grassy, piney, very slight sweetness but at the same time also spicy notes. Quite creamy mouthfeel with a dry medium bitter finish. Easy to drink but also a sipping beer due to its complexity.

2 Likes

I miss (NE)IPA!

Have been drinking old beer from my forgotten stash to make room for new (NE)IPAs in the new year.

As soon as the news of Liefmans brewery bankruptcy went public I bought a case each of Frambozenbier (raspberry) and Goudenband. These are the last 3. All gone now.

Original glass

Last 4 Goudenband

Then last week I was down to 2. Used a bottle in the duck legs and last one to drink with the legs.

10 years “best-before date” was in 2018. Duvel-Moortgat acquired Liefmans and has been making industrial cough syrup beer using the same original name. I have never tasted the new industrial version but that’s what I heard.

I had this Founders stout a couple of times before but this time it tasted a tad sweeter. Pretty sure the beer does not change so it’s just me.

2 Likes

Pantless Thunder Goose by Mast Landing Brewing Company (Westbrook, ME) - Hazy IPA

Fruity/Juicy (mango, orange) hazy IPA but very low sweetness and balanced with grassy, floral, slightly piney taste and a dry, low bitterness finish. Overall a mellow, very balanced, refreshing IPA.

3 Likes

4 Likes

I just had a goudenband, now owned but Moretgat. OK,not as good as i remembered but alas that was ages ago. Glad to see it around

2 Likes

Juicy Bits by Weldwerks Brewing Company (Greeley, CO) - Hazy IPA

True to its name a lot of citrusy juiciness upfront which lingers until the finish. Some grassiness with a distinct dank, nearly musty, note comes in later. Dry, medium bitter finish.

1 Like

OJ Hercules by River Styx Brewing (Fitchburg, MA) - hazy IPA

Many hazy IPA have a strong orange taste and for this IPA they added even regular oranges to amplify. Overall, not surprisingly, a lot of orange juiciness but not really unusual more as other regular hazy IPAs. Otherwise relatively middle-of-the-road with low bitterness finish.

2 Likes

Last of the beer I drank on Lanzarote. They were all fine and hoppy.
From Guadalajara (not in Mexico)

From Toledo, Spain. A nice, proper, bitter IPA.

From Valencia. My first time seeing “SRM” on a label. It’s a colour classification.

Took the last 2 beers with me to the airport and drank them there. Had a few hours to kill before dropping off the bags. The one brewed with acorns is quite nice. Belgian strong ale like. The citra IPA is industrial. Had an artificial taste.

This one is from today. After exiting the airport I missed the bus into town so I went back inside and had a beer. Smooth and a bit creamy. Very pleasant.

Look at I found in a small supermarket hidden in between buildings… More Chimay than we have at home! They even have the Eisbock! I used to drink it in large quantities.

Went back to the supermarket after eating to pick up some more beer. The dark Korca is too sweet. I took a sip and the partner had to drink the rest.

Beer with food earlier in the Albanian capital.

1 Like