BEER (2017-2023) - What did we drink (today/recently)?

If it came down to picking just one beer, Harveys best bitter would be it. This is from a recent visit to the mothership at the brewery tap in Lewes,East Sussex.

3 Likes

Luscious Hazy by Silva Brewing (Paso Robles, CA) - IPA

Short burst of tropical flavors upfront, followed by a long taste of refreshing citrus. Some piney and dank notes towards the end with dry, medium finish.

1 Like

Fruitlands by Modern Times Beer (San Diego, CA) - Sour - Fruited Gose

Quite disappointing sour from Modern Times - surprisingly little sour, hardly any tartness. Any notes of passionfruit and guava very faint in the background. Overall very muted and not on the same level as other beers from Modern Times

1 Like

On their website it says DDH NEIPA. Brewed with Sabro, Columbus and my favourite Mosaic. Low IBU (24, which is pretty typical for this kind of hazy NEIPA). Nice.

Tiny Rebel is a top microbrewery in Wales (apparently). I have only seen a few of their beers over the years. I don’t like “milkshake” beer but took a chance of this one and it turned out OK. Nothing like “milkshake” beers I’ve tried before and didn’t like.

Used to drink Flying Dog but stopped because they never sent new beers, only the same things forever. It’s been a long time so I thought I’d try again.

From Estonia, Gose with quince and beetroot. Lightly tart and the beetroot does come through. What does quince taste like? I have only eaten quince paste/cheese which is sweet.

2 Likes

Quince has to be cooked–it can’t be eaten raw. I’m not sure what it tastes like “plain” after it’s cooked–it seems to be always processed into something like paste, jelly, etc.

1 Like

Raw quince is very tart and astringent, once cooked the tartness diminished and the fruit get sweeter. A good quince has sweetness with some light tartness in the background

1 Like

Weekend Vibes by Coronado Brewing Company (San Diego, CA) - IPA

Appropriately named, easy to drink, IPA with strong notes of citrus, some orange juice taste, followed by a balanced piney dankness and a medium bitter, dry finish - perfect (weekend) summer beer

1 Like

Fortunate Islands by Modern Times (San Diego, CA) - Pale Ale

Strong on the tropical flavors (guava, passionfruit, mango) upfront but followed by some malty, grassy wheat flavors, some spices and citrus and finished with a dry, medium bitterness - good, refreshing mix of IPA with elements of a wheat beer.

3 Likes

Or sipping on the beach at Hotel del Coronado. :+1:

2 Likes

On a Mountain in the Clouds by Mast Landing Brewery (Westbrook, ME) - IPA

Tropical flavors of mango, passionfruit with some citrus/grapefruit upfront, followed by a stronger burst of pine and spice. Long and bitter (but not overly) finish. Good, balanced IPA.

3 Likes

Really cool label and name!

Is “tropical” the latest trend? Also over here.

Not travelling, certainly not to anywhere tropical, so it’s a good idea to drink from my stash.

Austrian “Trappistenbier”. Engelszell is a Cistercian abbey that produces several different beers. I have tried 3 or 4 multiple times. This one is the least likeable, but speaking only for myself, Belgian(-style) blonde beer is not my kind of beer. When in Austria I’d rather drink local (craft) beers.

Descriptions on website of Engelszell (also in English):

Hope I can find their Zwickl Naturtrüb somewhere. I like this style, it’s very common in Germany and Austria. Their Weissbier was introduced in 2019 and then the Zwickl. I hadn’t noticed till now.

I went to Ayinger Brewery’s “pub” (" Brauereiausschank" is the German word) in Munich a couple of times and had it on cask, served in a beautiful glass! The beer is black, rich and intense. Just a fantastic beer in every way, on a wintry night or in the dead of summer it doesn’t matter, really. I still kick myself for not going to their brewery in Aying, only 45 mins or so by S-Bahn (from Munich). And I even went to their Bräustüberl in Nürnberg, but never been to Aying.

From Estonia. Strata hop is new to me, but I’m a sucker for Mosaic and it’s in this beer. Tropical and hazy. The “herbal” aftertaste gets annoying halfway through.

2 Likes

Don de Dieu by Unibroue (Chambly, QC, Canada) - Belgian Tripel

Brief taste of wheat at the beginning followed by a strong spice (clove, cardamom) taste which is surprisingly dominant with some background notes of roasted malts. Some muted bitterness in the finish with a faint alcohol burn and a nearly creamy mouthfeel.

1 Like

After reading through this thread, I now feel I have to bring up one of the Cantillon’s from the wine cellar. The usual product is wine.

1 Like

Genuine Bock Beer by Pipeworks Brewing Company (Chicago, IL) - Bock

A lot of roasted malts, caramel with some raisin, figs upfront. Balanced by some bitterness towards the end. Bock beer originated in Germany and is still quite popular but not that often seen here in the US. This was a good rendition of a classic dark bock beer.

3 Likes

I used to drink Unibroue in my novice craft beer drinking days. They either stopped exporting to this country or craft beer shops I frequent stopped selling Unibroue. But then I discovered micro brewery Dieu de Ciel and completely forgot about Unibroue. Went to Montreal just to visit Dieu de Ciel pub!

https://dieuduciel.com/en/

From Hawaii, session IPA. Very drinkable and nice. Clean, mildly bitter and light body (it’s session IPA after all).

American-style pale ale brewed with only citra. Could be hoppier (my bitter threshold is very high so maybe it’s bitter enough for other people).

A solid imperial IPA. I rarely find an unpleasant Flying Dog beer.

“Mildly” bitter to my taste but not a bad IPA. Will do in a pinch.

Easy drinking APA (also a style I like). For some reason it’s very orange, I mean the colour.

I was expecting punch-in-the-face of hoppy-ness and bitter mouthfeel but it wasn’t anything like that. Disappointingly low IBU, only 25. Still not a bad Estonian IPA.

One of the low/non-alcoholic beers I drink on non-drinking days. Pleasantly bitter (31 IBU). Even more than the Estonian IPA above. Malts and hops used: pale, Munich. Citra and simco. Also contains biscuits and oat flakes.

Usually get a whole case of this or enough to fill a shopping bag. It comes in cans now. This is the old label. 0,3% alcohol and surprisingly good. Like a session IPA but with almost no alcohol in it.

I like all types of beer but have a preference for British, especially cask-dispensed. But hereat home, these will have to do.

Was unable to make photos of the other 2.

4 Likes

Bucktown Brown by RAR Brewing (Cambridge, MA) - Brown Ale

Surprising light beer just based on the dark color - faint hints of caramel, light coffee, toffee mixed with some light bitterness from an ale. Overall taste a bit watered down with little own character - not really worth repeating.

3 Likes

Brown ale is still a common style in Belgium and Netherlands. Too sweet for my taste. American version is different again, I see.

_ _
Very dark. Tastes of vanilla and chocolate. I like dry finish and this one has some of it. Finnish craft beer

The partner and I drink these 2 Irish beers every other weekend or so. They have changed the labels. These old labels are nicer to look at. I’ve had all 3 beers (Irish red ale, not pictured) and they were all really nice. Not lip-smacking bitter or intensely flowery and fruity but all of that in smaller doses. Price-quality ratio is outstanding.

3 Likes