BEER (2017-2023) - What did we drink (today/recently)?

Bottled yesterday, lunch today.

6 Likes

Must be nice to be able to drink super fresh IPA. Cheers!

Due to allergies and intolerances West coast style IPAs are a waste on me. They tend to taste soapy, unfortunately. But tastes great to most people on the planet.

I’ve decided to go through old photos of beers. It’s been fun seeing all the stuff I used to drink before NEIPAs and all the wonderful hoppy craft beers of today. Nowadays the only Belgian beers I still drink (sometimes) are selected Trappists and Cantillons (and some other sours).

As I no longer remember the taste I make note of the ingredients, styles and descriptions found online or from the breweries. Also, my photography was atrocious back then and digital cameras didn’t have many megapixels. I used a Nikon (D70s) and 60mm macro lens.

The 2 letters in parenthesis are country codes. “BE” stands for Belgium, “DE” is Germany and so on.

I’ve looked up “ninkeberry”. There’s no such a berry. All results lead directly to this beer and brewery. The brewery says it’s a mix of 5 different fruits. Btw, I hope Chris, aka @paprikaboy is OK. He’s been MIA. In his previous replies he mentioned the Floris beers were for the partner. Maybe this one is for her to try next? Take care, Chris!

2 Likes

I’m fine thanks @Presunto for your concern. I’m a Civil Servant and have been redeployed to help deal with the impact of COVID-19. I’m lucky that I can do my work from home. But I’ve often had to do stuff at very short notice. I’m very busy and it’s pretty stressful so at the end of every day it’s pretty much, eat, Netflix and sleep. At weekends I try not to use a computer as I’m on it all week. I am though one of the lucky ones.

3 Likes

Glad to hear you are doing fine, Chris! Lots of intense stuff has been going on in UK politics.

Be safe and be healthy. Cheers.

1 Like

I learn new things from old beer photos. Like this little brewery whose beers I used to drink, was out of business back in 2013 and I didn’t even know.

Literally “pluckers’ beer” (“plokker” is a local term for plucker in this area in and around Poperinge, Flemish region). A tribute beer to the hop harvesters in the hop growing area of Belgium.

Russian brewery but owned by Calsberg.

This “brewery” still exists. Brewed at a contract brewery for Aburon.

2 Likes

Fieldwork Designer Arrows - dank and citrusy with a little burn.

4 Likes

Beer float, made with Elysian Fields’ espresso milk stout.

3 Likes

They don’t import this Alaskan porter anymore.

Russian swills!

1 Like

I finally had to kick DH’s beer out of the kitchen frig. Here are a few he drank this week. I had the Gettin Zesty WIth It, a nice summer IPA with grapefruit added.

6 Likes

Fieldwork DDH Pulp - double dry hopped version of their Pulp NEIPA. Juicy!

4 Likes

Missing lip-smacking, bitter, fruity, turbid (NE)IPAs. The designs on the the tins are very nice.

I am still going through my stash of sour beers. When I have had enough then it’s time for buying new IPAs.

Partial to Cantillon but Boon’s stuff is pretty good. ( double vow “oo” is pronounced “bone”.)

Still 4 more bottles…

Wanted to try these eastern European mass produced swills anyway. A Polish shop in the big city stocked them. A new Polish shop on my route has Polish industrial standard beers and will probably try some of them one of these days.

3 Likes

Ballast Point Passing Haze IPA. Meant to be a session beer, it’s only 4.2% ABV. Very easy to drink and not super-hopped.

2 Likes

Bottled on 6/4, delivered 6/5! Highland Park
Brewing west coast IPA.

4 Likes

According to the brewery’s site around year 1880 Pils was getting more popular. But smaller breweries couldn’t afford new equipment to produce pils so that’s when this type of beer was invented, using grains. THis barley beer is bottom fermented but at a slightly higher temperature of 12 Celsius, making it fuller and creamier in taste.

German craft beers

2 Likes

Another beer float, this one with vanilla ice cream and Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar. This is an excellent dessert beer.

2 Likes

Went nicely with taco lunch.

4 Likes

Hazy IPA, from Cooperage in Santa Rosa. Great flavor, but I’m still not a huge fan of the hazy. Prefer a nice, clear, crisp beer.

3 Likes

Mango Mosaic Pale Ale but I didn’t enjoy it. This would probably do well in beer batter tho.

1 Like

Aw too bad. Mango and Mosaic are a good combo. I like Mosaic hop.

I like both hazy and clear IPA’s, Aussieshep. There’s a slight difference in mouthfeel. Galaxy is often either hit or miss with me. I think when it’s overpowering I tend to dislike it.

1 Like

The aroma was nice but the beer was too confusing in my head. I think lime in beer is as far as my brain goes.

1 Like