BEER (2017-2023) - What did we drink (today/recently)?

At Bryggjan Brigghus brewery in Reykjavik. Cherry amber ale left, black IPA on the right. Not bad.

2 Likes

I’ve been there. I remember it was very dim inside. Wanted to eat a meal as well but we were a bit early for dinner and kitchen was not ready. But we did get a beer tasting set.

On their website they have NEIPA at the moment. Try that yet? One of my favourite styles.

Alvarado Street Vengeful Barbarian. Very juicy NE IPA.

2 Likes

Forgot to post photos of beer I’ve been drinking. Craft beers are expensive and not particularly good, not to mention the selection is very poor. We love the wine here so the choice is easy.

1 Like

2 other Sicilian beers I tried:

Anything by Peroni and Birra Moretti is rubbish. Should have known better.

This place is never open. Probably closed for the winter, half of the restaurants and hotels in town are also.

2 Likes

Libertine Brewing’s “Edna” wild ale. A refreshing sour session-type beer at only 4% ABV. We’ve been having it with our stash of D’Artagnan pate and duck rillettes.

1 Like

Today’s lunch, I had this Northern French beer.

4 Likes

My delivery from the local beer shop has just turned up. I will try and post when I try them!

5 Likes

First of my Easter beers. From one of the first London craft beer breweries, Kernal. Their Table Beer ,low ABV 2.8%, but very hoppy and crisp. Also I love their simple labels.

Second beer from our local brewery ;Gipsy Hill Brewery. Only 15 mins walk from where I live ( would have been a 5 minute walk if I hadn’t moved, if only it had opened before I moved :slightly_smiling_face:)
I’ve had a few of their beers but decided to try something new. A Helles lager, a nice malty taste but I think I prefer a crisp hoppier pilsner if we’re talking lagers.

2 Likes

Private Oktoberfest in April! Enjoy!

I find that The Kernel beers tend to be hits and misses. But I try s many of them as I can anyway. From your photo, tinned beer will soon overtake traditional glass bottle.

Hopefully my regular pub still exists when the virus shitshow is over. It’s a small pub and might not make it through this difficult time.

In the meantime home drinking resumes. (These days I only make beer photos at home in the garden in good weather)

1 Like

A can of Barebottle Small Wonder Dust. Local brewery. Nice, tropical, juicy, hazy NE IPA.

The recipe for home brewers is on the can which is pretty cool.

4 Likes

Not all the beer I got was for me. Yesterday, Tiny Rebel Tropical IPA for me. Ok but they had overdone the pineapple. Big Wave for the missus. Quite nice on a hot day but not s favourite of mine.

Also another from our local brewery. An IPA at 2.8% and unfortunately it tasted like it, a bit bland.

3 Likes

I recognise the breweries in PB’s photos.

Got to try Kona Brewing’s beer a couple of times in Taiwan, from a convenience shop.

The only Belgian beers I still drink are selective Trappist ones and Cantillon. But I did drink this in my former beer drinking life (before the explosion of non Belgian craft beers).

White ale with brett (dutch). This micobrewery was doing well when they first came onto the scene. Unfortunately after a while they consistently disappointed me and I got fed up.

2 Likes

Something is not right with this NEIPA. It shouldn’t be sour. I checked the date, still good.

2 Likes

I was happy to see that Fieldwork, one of my favorite local breweries, has begun offering shipping throughout California in addition to their own local delivery near their breweries. They also sell crowlers for pickup curbside at their breweries but I’m not inclined to go out and drive across the bridge for beer :slight_smile:. I tried this hazy IPA today, which is named “Friends in Space,” an apt name for these times.

Very nice - a little boozy with a grapefruit like hit at the end.

3 Likes

My pale ale is just OK. Not aromatic and bitter enough for me. Some APA can be almost as aromatic and bitter as IPA.

DH’s beer and my wine. A Russian River combo.

4 Likes

Fog Ripper sour from Fieldwork from a few days ago. According to the can, is brewed with passionfruit, sour cherries, Tahitian limes, oranges and mosaic hops. I like it. Tastes like a sour Hawaiian Punch.

4 Likes

^^ I like mosaic hops. Used to be trendy until recently. Beers with this hop tend to be a bit expensive.
__

Lovely sour beer. Even after all these years the barnyard smell remains the most prominent characteristic of this style. I am partial to Cantillon but Drie Fonteinen stuff is almost as good, not to mention less relentlessly sought after and slightly cheaper. I must go to their tasting room in the future. It’s not far from Brussels but I only go to Cantillon and drink there when I’m in town.

Thought I had 2 bottles left but found 2 more hidden behind some other bottles. Yay! Anyway, I was looking for the bottling date. Feb 28, 2012. Expired last year.

4 Likes

Sorachi is a divisive hop. I like it OK. Tastes a bit like dill and smells of stink bugs which is why some people hate it. Sorachi is not a popular hop lately and I don’t miss it.

Hate shiny, reflective labels. So hard to photograph.

3 Likes