Beer (2024) - our daily liquid bread

your growlers last a week… there’s problem #1.

I always check bottling days and tend to skip on those which are too far out (but obviously that also depends on the type of beer). I also tend to use shops which have a good reputation for correct handling of beers, e.g. temperature control etc.
And growlers don’t last long and should be drunk within 2-3 days max especially if it is an IPA or sour type beer

Hi, Stan. I wrote “Crowlers”. This is beer canned straight from the tap. Sometimes under counterpressure.

IME, a good Crowler fill will be good for almost a week, and be drinkable for almost two. Not so a Growler or Squealer.

That’s all good. So you don’t have beer shipped cross-country to you? You leave that to local shops you buy from.

sorry - i assumed a misspelling.

with all the brewers around my parts i don’t think i’ve noticed one that offer crowlers. will look for such in the future.

1 Like

No problem.

Here’s what the seamer machine looks like on the bar at one of my favorite taprooms.

1 Like

my favorite pub has one of those, but i’ve never seen it in action or knew what it was for. i’ll ask about it during trivia night tomorrow.

1 Like

I buy less and less beer online (but on a few occasions when there are really unique beers which are impossible to get through local shops I still order online)

I’m lucky to have several excellent breweries with taprooms within a short radius of my homes. And excellent taverns within the same radius who pour their beers and local ciders, and guest taps of more obscure, distanced beers and ciders. As a consequence, I’ve largely sidestepped the “Where’s this beer been?” questions of age and freshness. So I rarely buy canned “good” beer.

I make exceptions for Big Brews like Bud and PBR for the cold swill effect from the fridge, but that’s it.

the Brewpub’s seamer machine was functional, so i got a crowler to take home. the label sez to consume within 48 hours. despite the labeling, the crowler is filled with one of my favs that they have made for many years - Monon Porter.

2 Likes

Let your taste perception be your judge on time. I think one variable could be whether the can is totally full of liquid when it’s sealed.

Big Suits by Toppling Goliath Brewing Company (Decorah, IA) - Hazy triple IPA

Like many triple hazy IPAs, this one also has a quite sweet, fruity beginning (orange, grapefruit, mango) with a very soft mouthfeel before strong piney flavors take over. Dry and quite bitter finish with a very slight alcohol sweetness. Classic hazy IPA

1 Like

Are there many hazy triple IPAs?

Yes - it’s interesting to see more recently two opposite trends when buying IPA - more low ABV once towards session IPAs and the opposite towards more triple (hazy) IPAs. Revisions Brewing has some interesting once, Alvarado Streets has some, Fiden’s, Other Half and Monkish have a few… Many breweries who make hazy IPA (and it’s still one of the most popular styles in craft beer) have added triples to their lines

1 Like

I thought hazy and triple were two separate things.

Didn’t know there were “many” brews that were both.

Hazy triples are just a combination of two styles - triples with triple the hops and malts than regular IPA and so really getting in the very high IBU range. And hazy (either through non-filtering, special yeasts or other additions to increase protein content) to get a balancing “fruitiness” to the high bitterness triples

1 Like

I know what they are. I am just cynical that, in the world of beers, there are “many” of them. Carry on…

I still use natural refrigeration all the time. That, and my ice maker leaks, so I put a little tupperware under to catch the water and it freezes. Beerice!

OJ Run by Narrow Gauge Brewing Company (Florissant, MO) - Hazy DIPA

The name already tells a lot about this IPA - plenty of orange (and some grapefruit) flavors throughout with some slight malt sweetness in the background and additional floral notes. Low to medium, dry bitterness in the finish. Classical example of a NEIPA.

2 Likes

Oaktoberfest by Live Oak Brewing Company (Austin, TX) - Festbier

Quite bold festbier with lots of malts upfront to give the strong bready biscuit start. Before a brief intermezzo of some light sweetness, followed by a surprisingly hoppy and bitter (and long lasting) finish which has very faint sweetness in the background. Unusual high level of carbonation.