BEER (2017-2023) - What did we drink (today/recently)?

Interesting, when I looked up where to find them in other states I see that Heineken owned a half stake in Moonlight Brewing for the last 6 years, but this year it sold its stake to the former owner of Bruery beer. So I am guessing they have a pretty wide distribution system set up, so most large liquor/wine places would have them. I see Total Wine and Bevmo carry them.

Alaskan Amber. I hadn’t heard of it but a neighbor dropped it off. Tastes good enough for me.

4 Likes

Interesting that you add oranges to it -if I remember it correctly it is a quite malt-heavy beer

Amstel Radler. Not a craft beer by any means but one I’ve never seen in the US. 2% abv and a perfect quencher.

The potato varieties they use here in Amsterdam seem especially well suited for fries. Perhaps there’s a connection to the Van Gogh painting “The Potato Eaters” :wink:.

4 Likes

Give them points for ambition! Haarlem will have to be another visit, off to Utrecht for business.

1 Like

It is malt heavy. I’ve had this one. I won’t opine on the malt; but it was drinkable a year ago. I even have an Alaskan shirt my uncle was kind enough to pick up for me there.

Radlers have really grown in popularity; in Europe and US (Shandy). They are a refreshing summer brau. Intentionally low in alcohol, they’re made fro quenching more than quaffing, and that might be a good thing.

Funklightened by Funky Buddah Brewery (Oakland Park, Fl) - Imperial Cream Ale

Interesting mix of different flavors throughout with some fruit from the orange peel and pomegranate, a lot of funk from the oak and than some malts in the background and also some alcohol burn (at 11.5 ABV) - overall like a barley wine experiment gone wrong

2 Likes

Laughing Monk brewery and tap room. They have their summer line up going, last time there were a bunch of dark and barrel aged beers. I really like their fruited kettle sours.

2 Likes

Is that a (Hungarian) food truck? What did you eat?

Wish I could get good, balanced Gose. Here it’s sour bombs with too much salt or spices and fruit.

__

Hazy Little Thing Session Edition - Sierra Nevada - Chico, California. 4,6%
Supermarket beer.

Watery fruit juice. Radler? Has all the elements of a typical IPA, just very subtle. I’ve had some other session IPAs that are better.

Pale Ale Draught style- Sierra Nevada - Chico, California. 5%
Another Sierra Nevada from the supermarket. Better than the previous session IPA above.

Copper coloured beer. Piney and resinous with light malt in the taste. Bitter-sweet finish. Pretty sure it’s much, much better fresh and on tap at the source.

LIFE Double IPA (Moon Landing) - Craftbros - Seoul, Korea. 8.2% 45 IBU
DDH Nelson Sauvin Single-Hop

9 euros so it’s not exactly cheap and I don’t even care for Nelson Sauvin. Tastes of green fruits (kiwi, grape, gooseberry). Creamy palate. Only medium bitter. Nice enough. A change from typical tropical fruitiness.

High wire - APA - Magic Rock Brewing/Kirin Holdings - UK. 5,5%

Actually, it’s the second time around. I remember the glutenfree IPA was best of the 3 couldn’t be sure so I wanted to give them another go. Not buying again cuz now I know for sure.

Now owned by Kirin Holdings and their beers are available in supermarkets in several European nations.
Some creaminess on the palate and a little hoppy. Tastes like an industrial “craft beer”.

Cannonball - IPA- Magic Rock Brewing/Kirin Holdings - UK. 7,4%

Quite a little better than the APA previously. Orange bitterness. Medium sweet, creamy and alcoholic. Soft on the palate.

Fantasma - Gluten-free IPA - Magic Rock Brewing/Kirin Holdings - UK. 6,5%

Interestingly, this one is best out of the 3. I had to look up “brewers Clarex”.

Intro from the brewer:

A dank and juicy IPA using Golden Promise, wheat and Cara Munich malts in the mash for a sweetly smooth body. For the hops we judiciously bittered with Magnum in the kettle followed by Citra T90 in both the whirlpool and in dry-hopping. The aroma/flavour is fruit-filled, dank and resinous, with plenty of tropical mango giving a moreish drinkability. Fermented with our house American ale yeast (WLP001) for a refreshingly clean finish, this IPA is also our first gluten-free beer using Brewers Clarex®.

Biscuity, fruity and lightly bitter. Refreshing and easy drinking.

2 Likes

Yes, Laughing Monk has a good rotation of food trucks. We had already eaten dinner but had to try it so we got two savory banitsas, spinach and bacon, each had ricotta and Bulgarian sheep’s milk cheese.

1 Like

You did better than I :rofl:

I also just had dinner on my first night in Osaka, but on the walk back to the hotel this happened. It was a simple soup and so good. A robotic arm attached to the taps poured me a beer. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

I originally planned to pour a Blue Moon but decided to try the Alaskan instead. Orange still worked for me.

Peach Kronic Rings Slushy by Kings Brewing Company (Rancho Cucamonga, CA) - Fruited Pastry Sour

Normally I really like fruited pastry sours but this one was surprisingly disappointing - without the name on the can it would be hard to describe the flavor anything peach related - it was more a very muddled, not really fruity flavor with some faint hints of vanilla and some resemblance of tart at the finish.

3 Likes

Now that I’m out on the West Coast, I don’t drink East Coast beers much anymore, but on a trip to Boston in April I picked up a can of Wandering Soul Beer Co.'s Future Life, a Czech-style pilsner. Hoppier/more bitter than I expected, but it went very well with a recent dinner of broiled lingcod and rice pilaf.

3 Likes

A couple of Cellarmaker brews tonight,

Checks the Boxes APA
A nice hazy American pale ale

Coffee and Cigarettes
Smoked porter with coffee
Not too sweet with a bit of coffee flavor. Little bit of smokiness too.

3 Likes

Monkish Adieu Adieu - DDH triple hazy IPA
Tasted lots of citrus and also mango, rich and could taste the booze (10.2% ABV). I like it.

3 Likes

I really have to make it over to Cellarmaker, last time I was in the area we went to Black Hammer Brewing and they had a nice Black Lager.

Where did you find this? That doesn’t look like Monkish.

Yeah it’s a nice brewpub. Assuming you mean the one in SoMa, City Beer store used to be really close too so you could go there before/after if you wanted to drink or pick up some non-Cellarmaker beers. City Beer’s a little farther away now near Civic Center BART. Cellarmaker also has a newer place in the Outer Mission now that also serves a pretty good Detroit-style pizza (Cellarmaker House of Pizza).

1 Like