BBQ HODown in Freehold NJ???

I say what we do is arrange to meet at a central location, like @NotJrvedivici 's house (just a suggestion) and each bring BBQ from a different place. Then we do a blind taste test and see whose BBQ is best.

2 Likes

But by the time we all arrive, the BBQ will be cold, so a comparison test seems less than perfect. (Unless somehow knows how to reheat lots of BBQ with no degradation of flavor.)

1 Like

@seal Too bad it was so disappointing. I can now dispense with trying take-out from The Cabin.

@eleeper We do take-out from Jersey Shore BBQ, in E. Brunswick, fairly often. It takes us about 20 minutes to get back to our house. To reheat ribs indoors, putting them in the oven at 250 degrees works well. Using our outdoor bbq also works well. With one side on high and the other side off, I put them on the cool side and close the cover.

4 Likes

Debris and burnt ends nowhere near the same. Debris is sent from the gods. I make pretty good poor man’s burnt ends with chuck roast.

4 Likes

Tried BBQ there last summer. Soooo disappointed. Highlight was dessert at Jersey Freeze.

5 Likes

Thanks for taking one for the team. That just looks… not good.

3 Likes

That sauce looks like chocolate pudding.

3 Likes

I’ve now been to Mutiny a few times and can definitely recommend it. Brisket, pulled pork, and his beef rib (which I had as a special last year before they opened their storefront) are all terrific. STILL haven’t had ribs because they’ve either been sold out or I wasn’t in the mood, but definitely worth a visit. Lovely people, too.

3 Likes

@Roro1831 One thing I miss from the old days of Vegas ( and my one and only visit to NO ) is the Debris n Eggs at Commander’s Palace. I tried to duplicate it many times and only got close-ish

1 Like

That dish at Commander’s Palace is so overlooked.
Great dish ,had it in Vegas before pandemic wasn’t even close to CP

1 Like

I thought Commander’s Palace in Las Vegas shuttered years ago? Did they reopen? Or did you have the dish at some other Vegas restaurant?

It was at a different place in Vegas about 7 years ago.
Wherever I had it could have been the Encore had fabulous shrimp & grits

1 Like

I revisited this because I was surprised that you were disappointed - I thought you had already been here and liked it. So, what was the difference, it seems you couldn’t have had two more opposite experiences, so what do you think the problem / change was?

2 Likes

Ooooof, the pricing on those burnt ends! Just indicative of the whole experience, thanks for taking one of the team!

3 Likes

Right @NotJrvedivici and therein lies the rub ( bbq rub ? ) The burnt ends are really good but NOT $16 for 6 pieces good. And the ribs were meh

2 Likes

Aah I’m sad I missed you Seal! Saw this late and had engagements that day anyway. That rib plate looks like a pretty good deal!

Speaking of BBQ, there appear to be delivery only “restaurants” popping up on things like Uber. No physical restaurant presence seems to exist and they seem to be operating multiple styles of “restaurants” out of the same operation. Like there is a BBQ place, burger shop, fried chicken, etc but it’s one operation, though listed separately. Got some ribs from one of these places recently and it was really good!

1 Like

Ghost kitchens. New thing in the gig economy. Some are run by corporate chains too.

1 Like

Yep. I had heard this was coming in one form or another, just surprised to actually see it happening.

1 Like

I just got the Aarzu lamb chops last weekend: $38 now. 4 lamb chops. Was very good though.

3 Likes