Bay Area bread favorites

The original location is such confined quarters it seems like they’re understaffed and generally chaotic. The Manufactury has plenty of helpful staff. No one is stationed at the bread, there’s not enough business for a dedicated person, but there’s always a staff member passing by.

2 Likes

Fancy Wheat Field and Sunny Wheat Field are under the same ownership,

Voyageur du Temps closed in Los Altos. I am a bit surprised that even Los Altos can’t support a bakery/ coffee shop like this.

Has anyone tried the loaves from Kneaded Bakery?

The name is “As Kneaded”. Piazza’s has carried them for some time. I’ve tried a couple of variations (with and without sesame seeds) of their Miche, a slightly sour whole wheat/rye bread. Good flavor and texture. I’d buy it more often if it came in smaller loaves. A two-pound loaf ($9, IIRC) is probably more than we can eat while it’s still fresh.

2 Likes

I’ve been buying As Kneaded bread at Sigona’s and love it. We mainly get her baguettes and once in a while a larger loaf (most often mini-miches). Delicious. Definitely better than any of the other choices in the store. Great flavor and texture. I’m very happy she’s opening a storefront - if unlikely to visit regularly due to distance.

1 Like

Thanks @petolino! Every Saturday morning I have an appointment at a place right next to a Piazza’s. So after you mentioned it I walked over to Piazza’s yesterday to get a loaf.

I end up getting the baguette. Which seemed to be a fatter version of Acme’s sweet baguette. Would love to try her other loaves too. Although I must profess I don’t quite get her point of view that a baguette cannot be sourdough. I thought a little sour won’t hurt flavors.

According to the sign, delivery every Thursday to Monday.

1 Like

I love the Berkeley Cheeseboard Pita bread. They only make it on Thursdays. It’s very authentic. It freezes well. We stock up and keep it in the freezer and serve it with homemade hummus and other middle-eastern and Mediterranean foods. Highly recommended!image

2 Likes

Not a favourite, as I haven’t eaten it- but found a wheat/ rye Ukrainian bread on the shelf of Real Produce Market in Palo Alto.

2 Likes

Seven Hills Bakery in the Castro Valley Marketplace has really good bread and a good variety. I highly recommend checking them out.

Wingen Bakery in Livermore makes a really interesting olive loaf and a good baguette that is only available after 11AM - it usually sells out by 11:30AM in my experience.

3 Likes

I would certainly take a bread recommendation from someone whose handle is “Jondough”!

2 Likes

I love As Kneaded offerings, especially the rye porridge. She just expanded her storefront hours and offerings (including muffins), plus she’s bringing in croissants.

1 Like

I second the recommendation for Seven Hills if you’re in the area. It’s the closest fancy bakery to me. All of their baked goods are excellent.

1 Like

I really like As Kneaded as well.

my favorite Apricot Walnut loaf - Sunday only. North Beach/San Francisco - 728 Vallejo Street.

3 Likes

Perhaps the only contestant.

I loved going there . If you got there a little late . You would stare at the board . Trying to decide. I’ll have the onion foccacia I would say . Only pizza was the reply . I would step aside and say . I’ll have that please . Wrapped in paper tied tightly with string I would walk away with history smiling . I got to look at the oven in the back over 100 years old . And the beautiful family that served me.

1 Like

Great to see As Kneeded getting the love. I clicked on the topic to represent, of course y’all already know. They were sold at my local cafe when they were smaller, now i get them at Edgewood market palo alto.

I get the ‘miche’ loaf which satisfies my desire for a darker loaf with a tasty crust. They last a month these days, half in the freezer, half in the fridge, always toast before eating.

Midwife and Baker is great, still love the occasional acme, can even pull out my pandemic recipie and make my own, but as kneeded gets my vote most often.

1 Like