Banh mi roundup

Thanks! I had never caught the name before. Good to know that they were there recently–I must have just gone by there on the wrong days.

I’m a fan of TY too, but their sandwiches are always a little dry. But they put a nice amount of meat and vegetables and the people are nice as can be. I will put a shout out to my new favorite Banh mi on this side of town, Golden Saigon on San Bruno Ave. Awesome, crisp yet tender bread. Good amount of meat and veg and enough mayo and Maggi secret sauce so that it’s not dry. I live in the Portola and have gotten pho there pretty often since it’s close. We recently ordered sandwiches (which were terrible under the previous ownership) and they were great. We’ve been back often.

Thanks Srr-I look forward to checking it out in the new year. I agree that some mayo/magi would help with the Ty sandwiches.

We have patronized Little Vietnam Cafe on 6th Avenue (SF) since it opened. Excellent product, totally family run, adorable service. What we consider “right” flavors and ingredients. I order grilled chicken or grilled pork, husband frequently has the fried fish.

(IMHO, much more pleasant service than Banh Mi Cafe around the corner.)

Banh mi house in Portola, which I mentioned on another thread, is consistently good.

Has Banh Mi Ba Le On International Blvd., Oakland gone downhill? I got three sandwiches, all with mouth lacerating bread and loose, haphazard construction.

I was in Oakland Chinatown and, upon @seamunky’s suggestion, I went to Cam Huong and got the #1 meat and pate combo. There was some bread leftover, but it’s still quite a sandwich for $3. Lots of crunchy veggies, and a generous slathering of pate helped moisten the crusty bread.

2 Likes

What’s mouth lacerating bread? Harder than the usual airy banh mi bread?

Yeah, on the harder, desiccated end of the spectrum, not much chew on the interior— someone was overzealous with the toaster.

I’m curious if the quantity of their, and other place’s fillings, has gone down over the years, though not approaching Lee’s in terms of excess bread.

I’m amazed that Saigon Sandwich in SF still has a good filling to bread ratio. Not great quality on my last visit though— something about a combo I had over the summer tasted off and I wound up tossing the sandwich.