[Bakewell] Modern day hunter gathering at the farmers market.

Well, one of your rolls got into trouble…

1 Like

It would have been alright if some of these had been used…
unnamed

As it would have been a picture of little baby cheeses.

2 Likes

Tactless. And not really very funny. I am an athiest but I don’t really hold with making fun of other folk’s faith. I see it’s the fundamentalist Christian pressure group making the objections, as they regularly do, purporting that their religion is “under attack” in the UK by secularist people like me. . No word, as yet, from the Jewish community who might also be upset that someone who would have raised as a Jew being replaced by a pork product.

Greggs is a bottom end bakery chain. I would almost prefer to eat andouilette de Cambrai than one of their sausage rolls. Almost.

Now, the sausage rolls I’ll be making for Christmas are things of joy, though I say so myself. I take top quality sausage (probably the Wilmlsow Porky from the local smokehouse), mixing the meat with pepper and a little sage. I use supermarket puff pastry which I spread thinly with a mix of English & Dijon mustard. Sausage then goes on, pastry is rolled, egg washed and baked for around 20 minutes. Delish with a couple of my homemade pickled onions.

4 Likes

Excellent, Chris. Truly excellent.

If and as I make it back to your corner to visit friends (and my beloved Peaks) I might request one of these. :grin:

I also make a well regarded sausage roll: a particularly fine one made with black pudding and pork mince, and another with lamb mince, harissa paste, and some toasted almonds.

I used to use supermarket pastry but have now switched to St Delia’s “Quick Flaky Pastry”:

• Sift 225g plain flour and a pinch of salt into a bowl
  • Freeze 175g of butter for 45 mins, then grate into the flour Keep dipping it into the flower so he grater doesn’t get grunged up)
  • Use a knife to distribute the butter evenly (no hands as you want to avoid heat)
  • Add a little cold water to just bring it together
  • Chill for an hour in the fridge
  • Roll and bake

Its a very easy pastry to make and works fantastically for sausage rolls and Boeuf en croute.

1 Like

I must give that pastry a try - Mrs H does it from time to time.

What’s the ratio between black pudding & mince, Phil?

No specific ratio - I tend to follow my instincts to get a lightish mixture but without losing too much of the taste of the pudding.