Bakers gonna bake - sweets and desserts 2019

I thought they were very lemony, but I did add more lemon juice to the batter than the recipe indicated - probably an additional tablespoon. This may also have contributed to the soft texture, although the batter was not especially runny - basically felt like your average brownie batter.

1 Like

Hazelnut pastry, pastry cream and raspberries.
I started out recreating a Viennese tart my sister made for me decades ago. It was hazelnut pastry, pastry cream and peach halves (specifically canned peaches). Everything was assembled and I just needed to prep the peaches. They were beautiful looking peaches. They were beyond awful. Dark pasty flavorless… Surprising as I had excellent peaches from the same source a week before. I ran out and found nice organic raspberries to save the day. No one will care that it’s raspberries not peaches:)

7 Likes

(ChristinaM) #19

Nice! I love Ina Garten’s recipe and have made many vatiations. Here’s my take with peaches, bourbon, brown sugar, and pecans:

7 Likes

Raspberry tarts looked lovely!!

I guess peach :peach: tart needs to wait. Great last minute decision!!

1 Like

I have to say I miss a bit of cooking, especially seeing all your fruits pastries!!! Another 10 days and will be HOME!!!

1 Like

(ChristinaM) #22

They look gorgeous! How did they taste?

0 Likes

Tasted amazing!! The hazelnut crust was very delicate and crispy. I did paint the inside of the pastry with a bit of white choc. Think that really made a dif.

2 Likes

Mine certainly didn’t look as pretty as that! :wink:

1 Like

Yesterday: mixed berry cobbler with a maple glaze. A “Southern-style” cobbler my wife adapted from an Epicurious recipe; taken to a small dinner party

Today: chocolate-chocolate chip bread pudding with strawberries and raspberries (we needed to use up old stale bread)

0 Likes

(ChristinaM) #26

Shucks

0 Likes

Peach Melba. Haven’t had this for many many years and there’s a good reason it’s a historical classic. Amazing flavor combination. Not as pretty as it should have been but so delicious.

`

`
1 Like

Pic of the peach Melba.

2 Likes

Looking at 4 very ripe bananas…
Hey!!! two banana breads.
Actually tried on in a different pan, and one in my loaf pan…
Same recipe different pans

2 Likes

(ChristinaM) #30

Anyone have a foccacia recipe they can recommend? I am looking to replicate one we had at local wonderful restaurant Cucina 24, which contained olives, cherry tomatoes, and plenty of olive oil and sea salt.

0 Likes

(DeMarko) #31

Sorry, no, but you might try King Arthur’s web site.

0 Likes

(John) #32

“Olive’s Table” is a cookbook from a Boston area restaurant of the same name. There is a focaccia recipe in there that is excellent & pretty foolproof. Cant find my copy right now or I’d post the recipe.

1 Like

(equal opportunity eater in the NC Triangle) #33

What makes it Southern style?

0 Likes

Not quite sure, even after looking at what I think was the recipe she used. Maybe it’s how the fruit and batter were layered in the pan.

1 Like

(ChristinaM) #35

We had a ton of pattypan squash innards leftover from stuffing squash over the weekend. So my hubby got the idea to make “zucchini” bread with it. We followed CI’s recipe sans lemon, adding vanilla. Great flavor!

2 Likes

(ChristinaM) #36

@Rooster This recipe is for your icebox cake-loving sister

1 Like