Bakeries in [Toronto]

Sounds good!

What is your favourite special occasion cake or torte in Toronto?

Back before the pandemic and for larger home dinner gatherings, we sometimes like to order Scaramouche’s legendary coconut cream pie as a take away. Not sure if they’re still doing this post-pandemic.

It’s possible to order a takeout Scaramouche coconut cream pie ($58 as of May 1/2022) through Tock. https://www.exploretock.com/scaramoucherestaurant/experience/201024/menu/whole-coconut-cream-pies-market-items

1 Like

We’ve taken out Scaramouche’s coconut cream pie and very much enjoyed it.

Another favourite is the sour cherry clafouti from Bonjour Brioche, which is my wife’s preferred birthday “cake”. My grandmother was also partial to their flourless chocolate cake.

1 Like

My friends love it. I have tried it at Scaramouche a few times. I lean towards their other less famous desserts! Lol.

The most recent nice dessert I’ve bought was a frangipane tart at Emmer.

Purchased a sesame loaf, slice of pistachio cake

and a salt caramel chocolate tart

at Emmer, and 6 mochi donuts at Isabella’s Donuts yesterday.

Would buy everything again.

3 Likes

" La Petite Colline aka Shan-Shan Cafe, Markham " …using only natural and organic ingredients, this artisan bakery is IMHO one of the best boulangerie in the GTA. Its selection of European/Oriental fusion creation are tasty, varied and in some cases, quite unique.
As an award winner in her own right, the pastry chef/owner also worked along side the winner of the ‘2018 International Master de la Boulangarie’ for years before venturing out on her own.

2 Likes

Everything above looks really yummy. We have really enjoyed Isabella’s. Still have to try Emmer. Never heard of La Petite Colline - I like the name Coffee UFO bun.

1 Like

I’m parking this article here, since it involves a Jewish blueberry bun called
shtritzlach that is a Toronto specialty. There’s a recipe at the end of the article. These blueberry buns can be found at Harbord Bakery, Hermes, United Bakers and Gryfe’s.

Wow, I have never heard of these! Clearly a trip to Harbord Bakery is in order…

1 Like

Lox + Schmear has a Blueberry Handpie, too, possibly their version of this, but they were sold out by 10:30 am this morning!

1 Like

I tried the pao de queijo, chicken coxinha and a cream cheese pao at Padaria Brazilian Bakery in The Junction today. Everything was good.

I will try a passion fruit tart another day.

Brazilian groceries.

There are now 2 locations, one on Manor Road, the other in the Junction.

http://www.padariatoronto.ca/

2 Likes

Enjoyed lunch at Emmer today.
My friend’s patty melt, with fries ($5 extra for fries)

I’m slowly trying all their brunch and lunch dishes. I’m fussy about schnitzel- there were some minor issues with this one. I will reach out to Emmer with a few thoughts.

I can recomend the breakfast sandwiches, the bacon butty and patty melt.

I plan to try the croque, tuna melt, BLT and hallomi-eggplant toast on future visits.

I bought white country bread (a half loaf, it’s possible to buy a half), black currant croissant, passionfruit croissant and a peach handpie to take home.

3 Likes

I purchased 3 empanadas, a mini quiche and a spinach/cheese poche from Belle’s Bakery on Dupont today.

The vegetarian empanada (mushroom and potato) and poche I tried were not good. Grit in the vegetarian empanada. Pastry in both the empanada and poche tasted freezer stale. I ate the filling and discarded the pastry in the poche and empanada.

The chorizo empanada, which contained Mexican chorizo and olives, was fair.

I haven’t tried the mini quiche or chicken empanada yet.

I won’t bother returning.

I’ve been buying good empanadas at Ave Maria Latin Cafe on Bloor (Colombian) and Latin Taste in Kensington Market (Peruvian).

Yeah they have gone down a lot in quality and have jacked up the prices. I was OK with them as they were one of the few bakeries nearby that were OK (during the start of pandemic they were new as well) I haven’t returned in ages.

1 Like

I purchased a bacon-egg brioche and a kouign amann at Noctua in the Junction today. Both good. Nice bakery, good coffee.

Some imported Spanish pantry items for sale, too. Piquillo peppers, vinegar, canned razor clams.

Noctua Bread shared a post on Instagram: "Kouign-amann

💅🏻💅🏻model and lamination: @romonna". Follow their account to see 165 posts.

2 Likes

Excellent Italian tuna sandwich at Mattachioni on Dupont. Big enough to share.

Tuna, egg, radicchio, pickled onion, cherry tomato, arugula, olive oil.

Transported me to Italy.

2 Likes

We’ve had good stuff for takeout from Mattachioni East before but haven’t tried the original on Dupont.

1 Like

I had a larger order at St John’s bakery today.
The brioche and scones were still warm as just out of the oven warmth which is great. Their brioche is one of the best in the city and the other breads are well liked. Also recommended is their shortbread cookies when they have them

2 Likes