Back to Paris

I did see that: thank you! I also saw your posts on Fodors.

I tried to tone down the food stuff on Fodors but the eating was the highlight of my visits to Paris and London! I always recommend people come here for restaurant recs (used to recommend Chowhound) since I don’t think Fodor’s commentators are as good on quality food recommendations as they are on travel tips. Do you have the same name on Fodors? I’ve tried to change mine over there, but can’t get any help from the support people when I email.

No. I go by Indyhiker there and on TA. I agree with you regarding the food discussions on Fodors. Most have a pretty dated take on dining in Paris and one of the Parisian residents, who I won’t name, is such a reverse snob about food that threads often devolve into bickering. On TA, I generally rely on just a couple locals who offer recommendations.

I still have a lot to learn and experience myself, but I think my choices get better with each visit. My first visit to Paris circa 2003 was hilarious. I was so overwhelmed at where to eat. The only decent meals I had were ones where I joined some friends of friends who actually live in the city. Of course, a lot has changed since then, both in Paris and on internet trip planning.

1 Like

We had dinner last night at kubri. It was delicious but so outrageously loud we couldn’t hear each other. They had a dj blasting music so not sure if that’s a regular thing or not. Just a thing to consider if you are planning a trip.

1 Like

Alas, yes, loud. And also very hot (at least if you are sitting on the inside). But food was good when I was there.

Kubri has become well known for its playlist and the music has become a draw for some. Some nights i.e. Saturday and probably Friday are louder than others. I usually go mid-week and don’t find it too bad. Once I asked them to turn down the volume and they did immediately. As long as one is not bullying or gruff, English-speakers could also successfully ask for the music to be turned down, I suppose.

Taking up onz’s point, the ventilation inside is very poor and it can turn into a sweatbox during heatwaves. Unless you can snag a table outside, not the best choice for summer dining.

Yes, we went on a Thursday night and had a 7:00 or 7:30 reservation and I don’t remember any music. We sat in the front room near the front door. Maybe music is turned up later. Weather was still cool so we didn’t have a heat problem.

It was a dj on a Wednesday night. The table next to us did ask it to be turned down but we didn’t notice any change.

I’m reupping this for someone on Fodor’s who wanted Paris reccomendations. Also wanted to add a few places that we didn’t get to last year and have enjoyed.

Marches des Enfants Rouges-interesting food market with different restaurants, Le Servan-a delicious combo of French and Asian dishes and Bistro Paul Bert (or Le Bon George) for French traditional. Also wish we had gotten to ChoCho on our visit. My kind of casual place.