Authentic restaurants that tastes like where it claims to be from

Further adding to this post, we’ve now tried the three recommended Korean Chinese places from my Korean friends in nj. I’ve heard depending on who’s coming that day it can be hit or miss. Here are my notes:

*(#1) Dong chun hong (동춘홍)
-Jjajang myun: not as watery as the one in Manhattan. Chewy noodles integrated the sauce well
-Tangsoo yook: their regular is pork. Sauce is slightly more sour. Probably put extra vinegar in it to begin with. Best sauce out of the bunch. Interested in trying beef version
-Fried dumplings: large and good but one was enough
-want to try nanjawanja too.

*(#2) Te Min Quan (대명관)
-간짜장: slightly less thick sauce and slightly sweet possibly from the onions. When combined with vinegar was really good.
-Got the pork version of 탕수육 because that was recommended. Lighter and crispier. Sauce was slightly more watery can’t decide if that made it better or worse.

*(unranked) Ah woo lang (아우랑)
-Sa chun (sichuan) spicy jjajangmyun. (Dry heat but not great. Not numbing spice but don’t know what kind. Spice from oil?)
-깐풍기 (just ok. gets somewhat gummy fast)

1 Like

Man I’m loving your quest to find the best Korean Chinese in the area. I think I’ve mentioned before that I’ve never really been to any single place in the area with enough consistency to really determine a best place. If you haven’t been, you should check out Mandarin, it’s the grand daddy of Korean Chinese places in NJ, been around at least 25 years now, which is worth something.

People also used to rave about the Jajang at Totowa, not sure how it is but that place is well worth a visit, it’s the OG of bunshik places, though it’s changed hands and locations many times now.

1 Like

Thanks Joon! I’ve had totowa on my list for boonshik. Haven’t heard of Mandarin. It seems Gyeonghoeru is the new hot place so I’ve gotta get some more jjajang.

@joonjoon have you tried the Columbian place in bradlely? Looks legit

Did I miss something? What Columbian place?

Joon probably has more intel on this spot but I heard good things

http://www.restauranteairesdecolombia.com

Ahhhh. Thank you. Now I know where you mean. I didn’t realize that place was still there. I will definitely have to to try it. The menu looks very interesting.

Ooooold thread, but I figured I’d share this in case anyone is heading to/near Cherry Hill:

ETA that now I need Szechuan food. SIGH…

2 Likes

We were just in Cherry Hill last weekend (science fiction convention), but we have a standard routine: Dolsot House Friday afternoon, Silver Diner Saturday morning, Whole Hog Cafe Saturday night, Silver Diner Sunday morning, and Rayaki Sunday afternoon. We must have our traditions! And is it really better than Sichuan Cottage?

I have no idea! Never been there or to any of the restaurants you mentioned. Just thought I’d share the info.