August trip to New York City

Let’s see if this works. I recorded it last night on the ground floor of my building.

6 Likes

“Liking” these posts in solidarity. Hope that everyone is safe and that things dry out soon. :disappointed:

3 Likes

Thanks. Back to remote work, after a brief shining week of in-person work!

4 Likes

We are and we ate at the restaurant in the hotel last night. We are planning the MET in an hour or so, and hope that doesn’t fall through. Skies are blue and forecast looks promising.

3 Likes

@small_h
@biondanonima

Hope that all is clearing up and all are safe.

My my ! What a mess.

2 Likes

Daughter had a terrible time getting to and from Queens last night, and missed Shakespeare in the park, but otherwise we are heading out of town happy.

Last night was Havanna Central on Times Square (meh),

Could other locations be better?

and I’m about to make a run to Kati Rolls. Thanks @Saregama !

7 Likes

Husband liked the unda chicken roll, the moma, and the mango Lassi! ! Hey Mikey! I liked them too.

2 Likes

I would have thought you as former NYers would know that anything located in Times Square would be meh. If you like Cuban Margon is my choice in the area. If empanada, then Empanada Mama.

4 Likes

my favorite

new since I’ve been

I’m not a mango lassi person in general, but it’s well-loved - I go for the mishti doi lassi once in a while, which is great too

1 Like

Weeeeellll… I do know what you mean, but that’s not an absolute (I present Los Tacos No. 1 as my rebuttal).

2 Likes

Lol I was just giving my Times Square survival tips on Twitter.

I have managed to eat well around TS- maybe because I go in with a list of possible spots within a 5 -10 block radius. Maybe because I avoid the tourist traps. Maybe because I’m seeking out specific dishes, or following leads from foodies whose tastes align with mine.

I’ve been really impressed with @shrinkrap’s batting average , to be honest, and mine tends to be pretty good!

There’s meh that pops up in every NYC neighborhood, sometimes where you’d expect it, sometimes where you wouldn’t!

(Other Times Square spots on my perfectly decent list : Don Antonio for pizza, Toloache, Real Kung Fu, ) i enjoyed Samba Kitchen’s Brazilian brunch in 2019. Maybe not a destination if you’re not nearby , but a pretty nice meal, imo . Noticed today that Gazala Place closed last year. Glad I visited in 2019.

2 Likes

I think it’s more about dodging the tourist traps and meh chains, and finding the hidden gems, not only near TS, but also near Rockefeller, ESB, Penn Stn, etc.

In some ways, eating well near the Metropolitan Museum (without heading to a $$$$ bistro) is even tougher than finding a decent bite near TS. I also keep a list for that.

1 Like

UWS location still in business

2 Likes

Thank you. I rarely travel to the UWS, but hope to revisit on my next trip.

1 Like

Actually works as an option before / after the Met :wink: - 20 min walk across the park, or a quick cab.

2 Likes

@BKeats , yes, but where were you yesterday? Maybe stuck in a subway? :grin:

Daughter missed Shakespeare in the Park!

This flood was a pretty big deal. Hard to appreciate I think, but people drowned in NYC! In apartments. Mad cray. :pleading_face:.

Life, and hurricanes, and floods, and age happens.
Husband passed a closer location and made me wonder if it would have made a difference.

Don’t we have Empanada Mama in California?

On the way to JFK. Cars stranded on the shoulders from the floods. Driver says “even with Sandy we didn’t have this”.

4 Likes

As my friends often remind me, trips don’t just revolve around food - for most people :joy:

So as long as you enjoyed your visit, that’s what matters.

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve crossed the Park a couple times for Nova and a shmear on a sesame bagel at Barney Greengrass.

1 Like

Kids went there after the Harbor Lights cruise!

1 Like

Oops! Laguardia!

2 Likes