Ate at Saffron in Burlingame CA last night

Two of the three places I listed are in SF. Rooh is both😛. Beshram is over by 3rd st near islay creek. As we all know, between ssf and about palo alto, chinese and japanese are great strengths.

This outing was for visitors from India; somehow, eating out in restaurants, they just want Indian food!

Many Italians feel the same!
You would think going to another Country to a Restaurant that is your native Cuisine would be a constant disappointment? :man_shrugging:

How did the visitors rate the food? Were they happy?

I know many people who were born in Mexico are the same way. Here in Northern California there is so much variety and most people are open to trying something different, especially Asian dishes.

I have a friend who moved here from Ireland in her 20’s and says she doesn’t like Chinese food (does like Thai and Vietnamese). Xiao Long Bao, a mainly takeout place on Clement, sells various dim sum. My daughter likes the Xiao Long Bao but the only thing I buy is the daikon puff. Even tastes good reheated in microwave.

I brought some to my friend, sure enough, she loved them. Also she likes the atmosphere and food at Eric’s on Church Street. She lives an hour away and wasn’t around when I made shrimp summer rolls recently; too bad, she would have loved them.

I think they were very happy (lots of Manhattans!). Three didn’t want to try the masala prawns so I had some good leftovers the next day.

Saregama: I think there is still a pervasive expectation that restaurants of some cultures should be cheap – Chinese, Indian, and Thai come to mind.>>

+1. Sadly, all too true. Drives me batty when people ask for a restaurant “$15/pp”. In that case, go to a decent burrito shop like Gordo’s, forget the soda and don’t tip. We regularly go out for dim sum in Oakland and for the two of us it’s usually $100+.

Restaurants that own their own building have a HUGE leg up on newer places that are at the mercy of whatever is the current market rate rent. We patronize a locally well-known old-style restaurant in Oakland which makes a very decent quality grilled steak at a reasonable price (for steak). There are 2 reasons they can still pull it off after 40+ yrs: they have a full bar with very regular bar customers (the kind that come in multiple times per week), and they’ve owned the building since opening - which was pre-Prop 13, to boot.