Arse or ass.? A linguistics question

Known around these parts as “my ass!”

Asinine is the word I use, when I’m in relatively polite society.

1 Like

Kristin Scott Thomas in Fleabag, best use of.

1 Like

Even though she was quite arsed in the very first episode :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

Not KST! The very idea. That was PWB.

Oh, oops. My bad. My punniness got the best of me.

After reading your comment I looked up the origin of bungalow and found that it has derived from Bengali language ! I thought it was purely an English word. Turns out it has just been nextdoor. Lol.
Understandable, colonial bungalows were built all across South Asia and a word or two has to be picked up from somewhere, that’s the nature of language. In my language it’s called “bungalawa” which is a direct adaptation of bungalow.

1 Like

I’ve heard a real incident, a true story that happened about 3 decades ago when Lalith Athulathmudali was the education minister of Sri Lanka. He had been invited as the chief guest at the prize giving at a well known school.
Minister Lalith A, being an Oxford and Harvard man, having led debates at the Oxford Union, and being a barrister and a lecturer in law, was well-versed in English.
The principal of the school, therefore, wanted to Impress LA with a speech made in the English language. He got the English teacher to write a speech, against the advice of everyone, and studied the speech. Which containes a sentence which said something like “dear minister, you, as the minister of education, should…”
At the actual speech his pauses and emphasis of words spelled disaster. He said “dear minister, you as(s), the minister of education, should…”

What? Surely you mean a Davenport?

1 Like

Back in 2010, BBC Radio presenter Jim Naughtie was starting to do a live interview with the then Culture Secretary, Jeremy Hunt. Or Jeremy C–t as how Naughtie accidentally introduced him.

3 Likes

Oh, these are fun! Keep them coming…

One year I was teaching the nature study class about the phosphorescence glow created by the ‘orgasms’ in the waters off Point Reyes. Jeez, I turned beet red and it wasn’t from the sunburn I got that afternoon.

3 Likes

Both versions are far older than the 20th century, according to the OED. It took me much longer to find my University library’s online access to the OED than to find the words. “Arse” is older; “ass” is a variant. I now may feel some pity for my researching students.

1 Like

How, uh, naughty of him!

Australians seem to sling that word around with a lot less of the stigma it has in U.S. It also seems they mostly apply it to men they think are fools or jerks, whereas the U.S. usage is most likely derogatory against women. We worked a lot with an AU cooperative research center and its CEO, an old emeritus prof at UNSW, and a few of the older doctors on their team, let it slip on more than one occasion while visiting our offices. Americans tend to find the casual usage pretty jolting. I don’t recall any of the younger team members doing it, though, so I wonder if it’s dying out, or if the younger folks are just more circumspect when visiting U.S.

2 Likes

There used to be a highway sign on Hwy. 70 in California directing one to Punt Road. I can’t tell you how nany times the first letter was painted over. Maybe some who live there may know if it has been removed.

3 Likes

In my neighborhood, we had a Lunt Ave. And this was in back in the analog days, when Liquid Paper was plentiful and in every home.

3 Likes

@mts and @Lectroid, y’all are killing me. An my wife and kids are asking why I’m snickering.

My only answer is, “Well, I’ve Had Beer!”.

4 Likes

Canadians, too. The C word and the T word are the worst words you could call a woman, to my ear.

I’ve never used either word.

I hate it when women use the word as much as when men use the word.

If someone who is Australian, NZ, Irish or British uses the word in a lighthearted way towards a man, I understand the meaning and it doesn’t bother me as much.

If I hear someone, especially someone who is not Australian, NZ, Irish or British, use the word in anger, I can’t help but think that’s a poor choice of words.

3 Likes

As with all terms, context and intention is everything. I used to greet my besties from HS with a cordial “hey sluts.” I wouldn’t dream of calling a stranger slut or c u next tuesday.

Context and intention. Know your audience. So simple.

5 Likes

Well maybe you know something about your besties that the rest of us don’t :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Hahahaha. Well, of course. They’re my besties after all :wink:

3 Likes