Anyone up for frikadeller ?

The chemistry of proteins in frikadellen is no different than in a patty - both are ground meat where you add salt.

1 Like

Rubbish.

The minced meat for a frikadelle HAS to be stirred and mixed with a handful of soft and firm ingredients.

Burger patties are ground beef with salt and pepper, that you form by hand.

The internal structure of a frikadelle is similar to that of a sausage, not a burger patty.

Chemistry of prolonged exposure of any ground meat to salt is the same - just try to understand science

1 Like

Science does not belong in a discussion where you deliberately continue to mix two completely different recipes up.

Please try to understand that you can’t compare characteristics of a ground meat, that is not supposed to absorb any fluid nor firm ingredients to a minced mixed meat, that has to hold on to milk, flour, eggs, beer and oatmeal.

Your argument is unfortunately still rubbish.

You really don’t understand science - starting with osmosis etc. You are completely wrong that you can’t compare these things. There is a general effect of salt on ground meat independently of what other ingredients are mixed in - what you are doing is ignoring basic science.

Please stop yourself.

The link you provided, which by the way is not scientific at all, but yet another one of Kenji’s home kitchen experiments, shows that in case number 3, the meat mixed with the salt, is indeed precisely the structure in a frikadelle you’re looking for. A structure which looks like the structure you have in a sausage.

That’s precisely the structure you’re looking for in a danish frikadelle.

The structure of a burger patty has exactly zero to do with the structure of a mixed minced meat in a frikadelle. So your scientific argument can’t be used on two completely different approaches and two recipes that has nothing to do with each other.

This is a quote from the danish professor in Food chemistry working at the Institute of food science at the danish state university in Copenhagen, Mr. Leif Skibsted:

Quote:”Salt makes meat proteins more soluble in water. When meat for stuffing is ‘salted’, the water in the stuffing subsequently contains more dissolved protein. The dissolved protein is a good emulsifier that makes fat and water combine better, as the protein settles in the boundary layer between fat and water in the minced meat.
Therefore, a minced meat dish is better connected when the minced meat is first stirred with salt and allowed to rest so that the dissolved proteins can be found in place. The emulsified protein will binde liquids more effectively to the minced meat thus making the mixture more juicy, less dry and more uniform” :Unquote

There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Let it go, both of you.

5 Likes

Thanks, I’ll stop now.

Have a great day.

Discussions like this reminds me so much of the old Chowhound forum.
Some of us are so stubborn and refuse to accept defeat in a discussion on a cooking forum, it’s hilarious and sad at the same time :grinning:

Cheers, Claus

1 Like

You, too :sun_with_face::sunny:

1 Like

Here are the Frikadeller at The Danish Place, a Danish restaurant attached to the Danish senior citizen’s home in a small town called Puslinch, here in Ontario, Canada.

There are very few Danish-run restaurants and bakeries in Canada right now. There are 2 Danish bakeries in the Toronto area.

The people who ran them in the 20th C have mostly retired or passed on.

I plan to get takeout from The Danish Place this summer.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8R0Sg2H5lt/

5 Likes

according to wikipedia… In June 2008, three students at the Danish School of Media and Journalism published pictures of a cat being slaughtered and eaten in Citat , a magazine for journalism students. Their goal was to create a debate about animal welfare. The cat was shot by its owner, a farmer, and it would have been put down in any case. The farmer slaughtered the cat within the limits of Danish law. This led to criticism from Danish animal welfare group Dyrenes Beskyttelse,[43][44] and death threats received by the students.[45]

Our Danish family are more dog people but cat lovers too (not in this way!)

2 Likes

Mine are admittedly not classic as far as ingredients go, but they LOOK just like the ones pictured.

1 Like

Well, that about caps off a day that has been crap from the get-go. I hope he dined on Tiger Tartare, and in consequence, contracted toxoplasmosis!

1 Like

haha don’t let the cat get your tongue?

1 Like

These ‘deller’ as we also call them, looks very close to the way I like mine. They look excellent in my view.

billede

1 Like

What’s both sad and hilarious is that generally speaking, of course, all involved think they “won.”

When did the preparation of food become a competition about the size, shape or texture of one’s……frikadeller? :thinking::clown_face:

2 Likes

:rofl:
It’s a Frikadeller contest.

(Notice the lady Frikadeller makers are not getting their knickers in a knot)

1 Like

My mother in law makes em and freezes em in zip lock bags for easy microwave reheating.

2 Likes

Very interesting, Claus. Didn’t know this. Didn’t know about the Dutch version, either. Educational post for me. Thanks.

1 Like

That’s an Amish dough whisk where I live. Hm.

1 Like