Andalucia , anyone?

I originally considered staying in Olvera, but thankfully you and/or Erica talked me out of it.

We loved the lodgings. Stayed at the Parador in Ronda which was fine. Our favorite was H10 Croma in Malaga. Ticked all the boxes. El Rey Moro in Seville was our second favorite. Smaller rooms, but the courtyard made up for it. Catalonia Granada and H10 in Cordoba were nice as well

1 Like

Thanks, Ziggy, and glad that you enjoyed all your lodgings.
These new H10s of Andalucía are really nice. We recently stayed in the H10 Palacio Colomera in Córdoba and our new favorite in Sevilla is the H10 Casa de la Plata (we’ve also stayed in the El Rey Moro twice).

[quote=“Ziggy, post:141, topic:35305”]
H10 Croma Malaga
Nice hotel, close to everything.

1 Like

Yep, these new H10 Andalucía hotels are really nice!

1 Like

I’ll keep them in mind if I come back to Spain in the future.

@Ziggy
About the Andalusian mollete…your description of its being kind of like an English muffin is a good one. It should always be soft and spongy.

My favorite gastro critic has been on a mission to discover the best Andalusian artisanal molletes. In his research through the provinces, he´s been visiting the wood burning ovens from Estepa and El Bosque in Cádiz to Villanueva de Trabuco in Málaga to Écija in Sevilla.

Although Antequera is noted as being the “mollete capital”, he found only one bakery, “Delicias del Pan”, there that lived up to his standards.
The best, he says, are produced at the 18th century mill in El Bosque, El Molino de Abajo, which one can visit.

But reader comments remarked that he missed the “best”, the molletes of Horno Cantareros in Marchena, Sevilla.

Here’s one of his breakfast creations:

mollete-tortilla

He doesn’t split them before toasting, but instead toasts them whole in the oven or on the grill, then splits them and fills them with tortilla española topped with fried green peppers & salchicón, or manteca colorá, or pringá or morcilla & pimientos.

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

I remember travelling to Almeria many years back, on the bus from the airport. As we came over a hill, I could see what, at first glance, looked like a large lake in front of us, with the sun shimmering off the water. As we got a little closer, it became clear it was the plasticultura houses, with the sun shimmering on the plastic. It was continuous for several kilometres and we thought “so, that’s where all our tomatoes come from”.

Love the La Cosmopolita photos, especially of the mollete. Dani gets his molletes from the bakery, Obrador Maximo in Benaoján.

There the bakery. now in its fourth generation, under baker Pablo Heras, sells them to many of the leading Málaga restaurants and all the bars in the village. A package of 2 costs 1.60. He makes 1,500 molletes a day, using his great grandmother’s recipe. With the help of another baker, when demand is high, they both are able to produce 2,000 a day total. He gets up at 3 am to start his production.

The next time I’m in the Ronda area, I`m going to drive over to get some, but first I have to place an order, because they fly out the door to all parts of Spain and to restaurants in Madrid like Juana la Loca.

2 Likes

These molletes are beautiful. I would have them filled with Spanish tortilla as a weekly snack.

2 Likes