Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Mrs H used to work for Shell and often travelled to the Netherlands for meetings. Usually there and back in the day, so no real time for “proper” food shopping but she usually brought me back some eel, bought at Schiphol. Not something you can easily find in the UK.

3 Likes

What a wonderful trip! Super envious of your eating capacity!! You and your sister always seem to have such fun and wherever you go folks are happy when you go back a second time, like the dudes in the bar.

4 Likes

Fabulous report!
We too were blown away by Rijks and the Beet millefeuille when we visited in July. We tried to book another rez to repeat the beet later in the week but no luck.

2 Likes

In my HO universe, there aren’t happier words than “long report” especially coming from @mariacarmen. The good and sometimes bad and ugly are once again reported with your usual aplomb and optimism. Bravo to you and your sis. And thank you for taking the time to write this up.

I don’t even like beets and I want this dish. And it looks like you got your fill of seafood without the BF.

6 Likes

What a great report - thank you. All the seafood looks so good - that plateau at The Seafood Bar - wow! Glad you had such a good time. I’ve never been to Amsterdam, but it’s definitely on my list for the future.

2 Likes

Bravo! I was there in Amsterdam September 9th through 13th, unfortunately (not really) with different companions at different restaurants. :grin:

I was sharing this thread and he kept saying “…and herring?”.

3 Likes

Great write up and pics @mariacarmen! It needs a disclaimer to not read while hungry though…glad you had a nice adventure, and thanks.

4 Likes

Fantastic write-up, Carmen! Dunno when I’ll be there next, but these are some great tips!

I wonder if poffertjes and pufferies are related. The former is popular in Germany (and is touted as a Dutch snack), but they tend to be round, not flat.

3 Likes

I’m envious of anyone who has managed to eat at Rijks. Couldnt get a table on any of the 4 nights we were there in 2019, as it was during their annual closure for holidays.

And I thought I had been dead clever finding a place for rijstaffel that seemed to be under the tourist radar and didnt appear in the “usual” online places. But, no, it was just shit.

4 Likes

we had lunch at Rijks, as we planned it to be right after our visit to Rijksmuseum.

I wanted to try rijstaffel but we never got around to it, though we got a recommendation from a server at Johannes, but it was strange, of all the different cuisines we saw available, we never passed by an Indonesian restaurant.

2 Likes

these started out a balls, but they flattened and/or she flattened them when applying butter.

2 Likes

wow, we could have crossed paths and not known it!

1 Like

We stayed in the “museum quarter”. Three days, three museums. Bit of an art overdose.

2 Likes

we did the same - i think we hit 4 museums in 6 days.

2 Likes

that makes me very happy to hear! means I got good tips! thank you!

2 Likes

thanks, very kind!

yes, those beets really blew me away.

Glad to hear you enjoyed
Nice write up
Fruit de mer in Dutch is zeevruchten (fruit of the sea :wink: )
I was missing the Indonesian food, although The Hague is the better city for that. It’s the food I grew up with

4 Likes

thanks for that! the menu actually listed it as fruits de mer, I’m sure for all us tourists.

Yes, I’m sorry we missed out on trying Indonesian food… next time!

1 Like

Here’s some!

2 Likes

How A’dam has changed! Gone are the days when it was all about rollmops and herring and surinamese roti and the Indonesian rijstaffel. I hope to return to A’dam and follow your itinerary.

1 Like