American Masters Jacques Pepin

Yes, I’d forgotten. I did like that show a lot!

1 Like

I’ve always been a big fan. He and Julia really helped me learn to cook.

I have a sweet memory of coming upon my father in his later years, watching Julia and Jacques, enjoying their bickering. (he was chair bound and spent most of his days watching golf, so I approved of his new choice). A few weeks later I went to visit him and he was telling me about the pommes de terre soufflés that they had made, asking if I could do them. So I found the recipe, set up a chair for him in the kitchen, and we made and ate them together.

12 Likes

What a nice story!!!

2 Likes

Jacques Pepin has become an icon not only for his culinary talents, but for his humanity. I have had the pleasure of meeting him several times over the years and he is a true gentleman. One time, during the annual Shad Festival held along the Connecticut River in Essex, CT. he came walking into a shad trimming demo totally unnoticed by most. As we stood next to each other in the audience, he turns to me and says: 'How nice and interesting." He was so respectful. He acted like a curious tourist. Amusing, since he could have taught everyone there a thing or two.
After the demo he went over the local bookstore to sign a few of his cookbooks…

4 Likes

I really enjoyed this episode. I have met Pepin and have his book, but I learned new things anyway. He turn down a job at the White House to cook for Howard Johnson!

Also watched the Alice Waters episode, which I found less interesting. It seems she really doesn’t cook at all. and never has.

2 Likes