"American" foods to try in NYC?

I would love to live there if I could afford it, for sure. But visiting is nice, too :wink:

1 Like

I’ve visited NYC only once in my lifetime, during the pre-Giuliani days, when Times Square was all adult theaters and 42nd was (as I remember it, being about 10-11 at the time) just an endless line of dudes running three card monty games.

The only activities I really remember from the trip were going to the tops of the WTC, Empire State Building, and the Statue of Liberty. We couldn’t walk up to the torch at that point, but we COULD climb all the way into her head and look out the windows in her crown. The food I remember is pizza slices, street dogs, and pretzels. Most of our time was spent w/ relatives in Scarsdale and then driving west into Amish country for my parents to go antiquing.

I could never live in NYC, or the east coast in general. I have been a west coaster since '94 and am now too soft and delicate for real weather.

3 Likes

Talking about lobster rolls, it’s one of the reasons to get out of NYC. This is one of my favorites. CT style with butter. Plenty of lobster.

5 Likes

They definitely love their city.

Im sure its possible to spend an evening with aa native New Yorker who doesn’t compare everything to how it is in NYC but I havent achieved it yet.

Dated a guy from Queens *very briefly… I was done when he started comparing me to women he’d dated in Queens. cringe

2 Likes

@Sunshine842 if we ever meet, I will be that NYer.
Sure I love my city, and when out of town family come I will show them what I think is the best we have to offer. But when I’m visiting other places, I want to see that culture, food, shopping etc. A little comparison is inevitable, but that happens no matter where you’re from. As in “Wow, we don’t have that where I live, can we go get some/see that?” Being a jerk about it (such as the “gentleman” in your example) is just rude.

2 Likes

Challenge accepted! Lol

1 Like

If he’s NOT going to Texas, then going to Hill Country BBQ in NYC is a good choice.

2 Likes

Closed for good? News to me.

However, Tokyo’s “Grand Central Oyster Bars” are having it large.

Grand Central Oyster Bar is very much open.
They are closed Saturday and Sunday, but open during the week.

3 Likes

Actually, I confess, the place I love to go for essence-of-NY Italian is Emilio’s Ballato on E. Houston. Doesn’t take reservations, but unless it’s a Saturday night, I think I’ve usually been able to wait (hint: go before you will eat the table). It’s very different from Italy Italian, and my European friends almost always get it as “special” and very New York, old rocker hangout, happens to have excellent “old school” food.

2 Likes

Had no idea what an art (and how many hours) this was till my friends made me a langoustine bisque on my last night on my recent trip to Paris. Wow, wow, wow! A different beast altogether from anything I’ve tasted before! If you find it in NY (the lobster kind), I’m up for a trip!

Also, Chicken, Eggplant or Veal Parm sandwiches.

2 Likes

The oyster bar is open during the week. It’s now closed on the weekends.

1 Like