"American" foods to try in NYC?

:0(

He has shown up here using the same moniker but not posting frequently. If we could find bagelman it would almost be like old times getting some real opinionated old school diners out arguing the fine points of how a sommelier should present a bottle.

Warning. Massive thread drift. So far that Iā€™ve forgotten the original question. :disguised_face:

1 Like

Oh, no offense taken! And no need to apologize. I just remember it, is all, and - for better or worse - the only information we have about people we ā€œknowā€ online isā€¦what they post online.

2 Likes

New Yorkers often have a habit of thinking this about everything. Though not a native, Iā€™ve been here long enough to think of myself as a New Yorker but the center of the universe view of many NYers (including my kids) is trying.

3 Likes

Great thread and lots of inspiration for my upcoming trip. But did anyone already answer the lobster roll query? Would love a fewā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think someone mentioned pearl.

There are a lot of options

Ps hold the Mayo

2 Likes

Iā€™ve only see the hot buttered type in Boston/ New England. I have enough room in my heart for both types of lobster roll.

I dunno, generalizing about millions of people is kinda trying, too

Essex Pearl is doing three kinds of SE Asian lobster rolls, whichā€¦are not American at all, but they are good. Elsewhere, Red Hook Lobster Pound, Lukeā€™s, Edā€™s Lobster Bar. And Bait and Hookā€™s is pretty respectable.

3 Likes

Bashing NYC has been a hobby for the rest of the USA for 200+ years.
They actually think they ARE the center of the universe.
:cowboy_hat_face:
:upside_down_face:

Is that the same Lukeā€™s that exists in Philly? Iā€™d think the seafood place in Chelsea Market would have lobster rolls, too. Plus that place is a culinary wonderland.

Yes, it looks like part of the same chain. Lobster Place in Chelsea Market is indeed very good, and the list linked to by @chienrouge looks pretty good to me (although some of those places are stupid expensive and donā€™t need to be). Iā€™ve had very few bad lobster rolls - overcooking is kind of the worst thing that can happen.

2 Likes

Thanks for this response. Much to say about the lengthy history of the bagel/ beigel and I assume we could or should begin with the question ā€œwhoā€™s we?ā€

2 Likes

Not true. Only Brooklyn. :innocent:

1 Like

Others are responding. Iā€™m sympathetic in your love for the bagels you know (I hit rosenfeldā€™s every time Iā€™m in the Boston area) but thereā€™s a lot to the history of bagels/beigels and a moderate diversity to ā€œweā€.

2 Likes

I know, but itā€™s tiresome.

1 Like

Used to have them shipped from there now I prefer

https://www.lobsters-online.com/lobster.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-5WBjdWN-gIVVmxvBB1f3AXmEAAYBCAAEgJquPD_BwE

Good prices / good lobsters

1 Like

I appreciate NYC bagels and Montreal bagels. I choose sesame or poppy seed most frequently.

Prefer a good Montreal bagel to a good NYC bagel, but I know those are fighting words on this board.

1 Like

Thanks, but I donā€™t need to have lobsters shipped from anywhere. Iā€™m a 20:00 walk from Aquabest, and I see no need to go anywhere else.

1 Like

No. Not at all. Now we have the prospect of a subway series again where weā€™ll be inundated with nostalgic NYC stories from Hoda and Kathie Lee.
:slight_smile:

1 Like