American Food

What does it taste like?

Also, I’m about to start a thread with local sodas worldwide (unless such a thread already exists, that is) :slight_smile:

Of course it does! Regional Soft Drinks

2 Likes

Sort of like root beer and licorice had a very odd love child. It’s not bad with rye and lime juice over a lot of ice :crazy_face:

4 Likes

I just looked at the descrip and it mentioned wintergreen and licorice.

That’s another harrrrrd no here :nauseated_face: :joy:

1 Like

It is very much an acquired, regional taste. The venn diagram of Moxie drinkers and those who call soda “tonic” is probably a circle.

5 Likes

And who knew I had already extolled the virtues of PA Dutch birch beer?

1 Like

Yep Moxie is def an acquired taste. I’m in Maine-- the home of Moxie and it has an almost cult like following. Not me ! OTOH I do like root-beer. There’s a couple three craft soda-pop makers here & the root-beer they serve at Portland Pie Co. (Capt something?) was astonishingly good.

4 Likes

Yeah, I forked that post :wink:

And replied to a 4 yr old thread :grimacing: :joy:

2 Likes

Nor me. But it actually originated in Lowell, MA (although a Maine doctor created it as “nerve tonic” while living in MA). But you Maineiacs are the die-hard Moxie fans. LOL

5 Likes

Funny, I was just going to post a rhetorical question — do the people who like root beer (I used to like root beer vanilla floats when I was a kid but haven’t had one since then) also like black licorice (I do, but not the hard-core intense varieties)? I guess those Venn diagram circles might overlap. :grinning:

2 Likes

American tomato :tomato: philosophy…

1 Like

I can’t say I like root beer, but I don’t mind it (root beer floats are a whole nother thing :nauseated_face:

But I have always disliked black licorice . . . mom used to keep the black jelly beans at Easter for herself because I wouldn’t touch them.

4 Likes

When I was very young, if I saw a gumball machine, I’d beg relatives for change. If the black one came out, I didn’t want it, would start begging for change again. Grateful I never got 2 in a row!!

5 Likes

I like root beer but cannot stand licorice. Most things that taste like licorice to me are just a no. Red is bad enough. Black is horrid. Even tarragon taints anything to inedible for me. On the other hand I really like fennel which some say has a licorice flavor but not to me.

3 Likes

No Black Licorice for me either! When see Anise mentioned it’s an instant yuck from me. I do like RB but it’s not my first choice. Coke Classic or Pepsi with a burger if there’s no lemonade (or beer). Cream soda or Orange Crush were my goto’s in years past.

2 Likes

Cross posting?

2 Likes

I keep meaning to go to Cadence with my kosher friend. We always have vegan food 'cause I’m not paying kosher restaurant prices.

1 Like

I can eat red licorice, and I like tarragon in small amounts as an accent (like chicken salad), and I enjoy root beer. But I despise fennel. So there you go. LOL

2 Likes

I like black licorice, but I don’t seek it out. I do love tarragon, fennel, anise, but RB can stay TF away :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Love root beer floats, tarragon, fennel, anise, ouzo, Pernod, black jelly beans, and those little candy coated things (can’t think of the name) found in movie theaters. I don’t like black or even red licorice, especially the imported kind from Australia or UK, because it’s so strong tasting. Did you know eating too much black licorice can also have negative health effects?

2 Likes