American food wish list for future visits

I hope you went to the venerable Hellas on Dodecanese Blvd. Its a 1980s neon fever dream, but the food is good and thr service is always on point. My BFF and I go every year to celebrate our birthdays, and rhe day is not complete without hauling a box of Greek pastries home!

1 Like

I wrote up the trip report on Chowhound but itā€™s long-gone! It probably was Hellas.

1 Like

Sorry but WTF would you go to Rhode Island for clam pizza? Maybe RI for clam cakes or chowder. Not pizza. The place to go for clam pizza is Connecticut. Supposedly first created in New Haven. If you happen to make it to the CT shoreline I will tell you which is the best and no itā€™s not Pepeā€™s.

Le Grenouille is the last of its kind. Great restaurant serving classic French food. Havenā€™t been there in ages. Should probably try it again.

3 Likes

Why the fuck I mentioned Rhode Island Clam Pizza.

I wrote the list off the top of my head. Iā€™m not American. My bad.

I forgot the clam pizza was from Connecticut.

I guess itā€™s the squid that Iā€™m supposed to order in Rhode Island.

4 Likes

Or, drive further south another hour or so to Fall River and get a Chow Mein Sandwich:

3 Likes

Sonic is hideous. Awful meat hiding under a coating of salt.

They do have different fish in the Great Lakes regionā€¦ lots of perch (the winner) and walleye.

2 Likes

Looks like a coast to coast trip . Long travel time . Spend 5 months or longer . Nice list for eating food in America .

1 Like

Youā€™re 4 years too late to enjoy my top-choice location for an Iowa pork tenderloin sandwich. The legendary (45 years of one owner) Boondocks restaurant / truck stop on Interstate 35 got sold in 2019, per this article with plans to put an Indian restaurant in the building.

But if you get to MN, Iowa or WI the Culvers chain restaurants serve a pretty decent one. And you could check off frozen custard on the same visit.

1 Like

Thank you!

Itā€™ll be a series of many road trips, in the future, spread out!

1 Like

I think it was a cherry limeade or slush that I wanted to try at Sonic. https://order.sonicdrivein.com/menu/drinks/lemonades-limeades/product/cherry-limeade

2 Likes

I live halfway between Lake Erie and Lake Huron! Which makes Ohio, Michigan, PA and NY State convenient! :smiley:

Gotta recommend Mexican food in California - tacos and Mission burritos.

Plus PNW & Alaskan seafood. Kumamoto oysters, anyone? And WA cherries & peaches in season.

3 Likes

I seek out chiles rellenos, tamales, huevos rancheros / divorciados, and seafood enchiladas in California.

I like this place when Iā€™m in Sonoma County. https://www.elmolinocentral.com/

1 Like

i havenā€™t had most of whatā€™s on your list!

1 Like

If you posted all of your trips to America here on HO, you might break the internet.

3 Likes

El Molino was mentioned in a recent Food and Wine article about Sonoma. So was my personal favorite, Cafe La Haye.

1 Like
3 Likes

Well, if I ever finally get around to visiting Vegas, I wonā€™t post about that.

I would redo that what to eat in each state.

California = enchiladas or tamales. Tacos are great and all, but Iā€™m always going to choose enchiladas over tacos. Iā€™m probably going to get a combo plate with an enchilada, a chile relleno and a tamal, if thatā€™s an option.

Alaska: the shrimp and the crab. (I leave Salmon to BC)

Kentucky: Derby Pie

2 Likes

Well, you know what you like, but there really isnā€™t much variety when it comes to enchiladas, while tacos in California are going to offer options you may not find everywhere!

Besides; do you know how many tacos you could eat with the same appetite that would be satisfied with just one combo plate?

1 Like